NF problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2005, 22:44   #1 (permalink)

NF problems

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I couldn't find a forum to do with computers.My computer unit on my NF Fairlane has been fried and I need a new one.My mechanic has rang around Australia along with another guy I know and neither of them can find a new one.Does any one here know where I can purchase one?Standard or chipped.I really need a new one and I think I will get charged a fair bit to try and recon mine.
syco26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2005, 02:13   #2 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

Re: NF problems

First of all - how do you know it is fried... are you sure it isn't something other than the ECU?

Fried ECUs cannot be reconditioned as far as I know - try a wrecker that has one of those national databases. I'd be suprised if you couldn't locate one... ring a Ford wreckers... there are heaps of NF/NL Fairlanes in yards.
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:59   #3 (permalink)

The problem started one night when it was cold - she just wouldn't idle till it warmed up and once warm she was back firing through the inlet.So I took her to the mechanic and he gave me a new set of plugs,leads and air filter-main coil lead had short marks.This didn't stop it.So he checked my coil - it was shot - had been shorting out underneath so we put a new one on.Still not fixed.Tried his little computer diog tool and said that the egnition was on/off - turn on/off and try again.Tried and wouldn't spit any readings out.He got onto some people in melb that where suppose to know about this stuff and sent him and new comp to try and a new aircon idle sensor(or something) to try.Hooked the new sensor up and still the same problem.Hooked the new computer up and found they had sent him the wrong comp.Now mine has been pulled from the car and send into state to try and find out what is wrong.No car now for at least a wekk so I'm pi$$ed but you get that.
Thanks for your reply as well AUGhiaV8 I will try some wreckers here in SA and fingers crossed I can get one.
WEhile on the computer topic does any one know if the EF XR8 had a better chip in the computer than the NF has?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:40   #4 (permalink)

Oh and another thing - which ECUs are interchangable with the NF?Is it true that the NL doesn't work with the NF but the NC does?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:44   #5 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

I'll try some Brisbane wreckers also... by chance do you know what the ECU catch code is?
Old 03-31-2005, 04:31   #6 (permalink)

Would I find that code in my manual by any chance?The ecu has been sent away today to see if it can be fixed or at least diagnosed to make sure that it is the ecu
Old 03-31-2005, 05:13   #7 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

No... it will be on the ECU itself.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:49   #8 (permalink)

Try this place they sell exchange ecu's for everything

http://users.tpg.com.au/cogo81/EMF+catalogue.pdf
cogo_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech