oil level in T3??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2003, 22:04   #1 (permalink)

Question oil level in T3???

Had my oil and filter changed a couple of weeks ago and i finding that the oil level is between 5-10mm over the full mark. Checking it cold when it has sat for a couple of days it can be as much as 10mm over.

As the manual says, check it at normal running temp, leave for a few moments to let oil settle into sump and then check, it is still slightly over full mark by about 5mm.
What do you think about measuring oil levels this way??

I don't know if it's the supersyn's viscosity but once you have initially checked the oil it is hard to get an accurate reading again as the oil smears nearly two thirds of the dipstick.

I know if the crank journals are dipping into the sump oil that it can airate the oil, i don't feel it's doing that with the amount i'm specifying but apart from that can this cause any other problems within the engine???
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2003, 23:03   #2 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

Re: oil level in T3???

Yep mine does the same thing I look at mine when its cold its about 10mm above full so I think were safe
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 03:15   #3 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

My XR8 is the same,I to worried about this and asked the dealer they said it would be ok,but I was still curious,I've heard that overfilling can do damage and strain the engine but I dont think this amount will hurt.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 04:05   #4 (permalink)

i needed to put some oil in my car my dad said i only need a litre but me i put 2 in, so he checked it said run around the block and keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge it gets up towards the limit under full throttel but driving noramlly its fine so just keep an eye on ur oil press gauge just my 2cents

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 04:25   #5 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Where is the needle susposed to sit on the oil pressure gauge,what marking,ie the 7th bar or so what does this mean,cheer's.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 04:31   #6 (permalink)

i dont know i only go if it stsys under the top an off the bottom itll b fine it'll go up an down as u accelerate and bak off i think

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 06:27   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Too full will blow seals..
imo 10 mm is o/k
Besides they probably did it by measure which would be the correct level. Not nessessary the mark on dipstick...
Sometimes the [felt] seal on dipstick fulls off and allows stick to go further into sump!!!!
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 06:41   #8 (permalink)

Just a couple of points. Firstly i was under the impretion that the T 3 has a oil pressure valve as mine never changes from idle to full revs.
Talked to Tony CHesterman and he verified that

Secondly the level i believe shouldnt be above the full mark when full(also should be checked when engine is cold) when you have run the motor you will have oil in the engine everywhere so obviously level will be lower when the motor had recently been run.

The main reason when dealers do over fill cars is generally to compensate for slack vehicle owners who dont bother to check oil between services. If you arent one of these and you check every week then you can top up as you use oil.
Fitting my ally heads ina week or two will post when dynoed. Have a nice day guys.
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 06:37   #9 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

One thing to do when doing some track events, top oil alittle full. The last thing you want is oil surge!!
All engines have an oil presure reliefe valves..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 17:40   #10 (permalink)

Maybe i didnt explain myself as good as i could. Obviously all engines have a oil relief valve but the T 3 goes to one pressure and doesnt vary regardless of engine rpm.(That was my point). As for oil surge....If your car gets oil surge and you have to ass extra oil to fix it you need a better return system for your oil to your sump or a better designed sump.

One good way is to run return lines directly back to the sump with inline filters from either the rocker cover base of the cylinderheads.
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech