Oil Seals/Cat - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2002, 06:27   #1 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Oil Seals/Cat

I am about to replace the crankshaft timing cover oil seal and the transmission extension housing seal. Are there any handy little tricks that may be of some assistance? The Haynes manual says to remove the radiator and use a special puller on the harmonic balancer, I only have a standard puller, will this do any harm?? As for the driveshaft seal, am i going to need a driveline balance after i put the driveshaft back in place, even after marking it and replacing it exactly the same as it was??

I've noticed that when moving from a stand still under light throttle, when the car is just above idle, it makes a strange vibration noise. It sounds as if its comming from the vicinity of the catalytic convertor, is this possible?? It's been making the noise since i got it and it doesn't seem to be getting any better, but its not worsening.

After I've done the seals its going in for a service/tune up, which will hopefully give it a bit of a freshen up :) It's only costing me $99 and they are giving it an oil change, coolant change, new plugs/leads, new points, new air filter and a full tune up. Then its off to the wreckers to pick up my ED Fairmont Ghia rear end :D
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2002, 06:37   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

You may get it of OK with a standard puller but you really need the tool to install it and they are not expensive. Hammering the crank on will cause more problems - stuffed up crank end play. Go here http://www.eastwoodco.com/ and look at item no 46040 - harmonic balancer installer.

If you don't have seal installer you'll find that your local hardware stores have some nice cheap plastic plumbing fittings that fit perfectly and do a fine job of driving the seals in without damaging them

The noise/vibrations sounds like the front universal joint.
You won't need a rebalance.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:12   #3 (permalink)
donuts2001

To take the bolt off the harmonic balancer you will need to undo the plastic stone guard underneith the engine bay to get to it and will need to use a rattle gun to take the bolt off and on. Don't even attempt to take it off with a hand wrench unless you have a manual car, but even then it will probably be hard to do.

I've found the pullers with the 3 legs coming off it that connects to the edge of the harmonic balancer to be useless for the EA one. The one you need is one that has 3 bolts coming down which screw into the harmonic balancer on the sides and a bolt that you tighten up in the middle. You'll need to leave the harmonic balancer bolt in the hole loosely, and then tighten the middle bolt on the puller and it will pull the harmonic balancer off.

You may need a pipe with something put on the end and then tap that with a hammer to put the tailshaft seal on with, because it won't go in unless all sides are pushed in at the same time.

As for the noise under your car near your catalytic converter, I reackon it is your exhuast vibrating against the mount that connects to the tranny. You should check to make sure it is connected securely.
Old 10-17-2002, 18:02   #4 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Why do all of these people keep saying they are replacing their points?? EA's dont have any!!

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 21:11   #5 (permalink)
kool kiwi bloke

Get someone to put their foot on the brake and the gas so that the noise occurs while you get under and look for it. Make sure you trust the other bloke tho.
Ive also noticed a funny rattl which seems to happen after a hard drive. As i go to move off there is a noisy rattle from the tranny or front muffler. We dont allways have cats here. Would be good to trace the noise, its not allways there.

If it aint broke then dont fffffffix it!
My advice may not be worth much, but at least it's free!
shrekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 21:34   #6 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Re: Oil Seals/Cat

Quote:
Originally posted by EAII_Fairmont
I am about to replace the crankshaft timing cover oil seal and the transmission extension housing seal. Are there any handy little tricks that may be of some assistance? ....
Re the transmission extension housing seal, are we talking about the rear seal on the 4-spd auto? If so they are an interference (push-in) type fit. I was having all sort of difficulties getting mine in until I went and had some lunch and tossed it in the freezer section of the beer fridge. After lunch it slid in fine as it had shrunk a little by then. Try it of you don't believe me.
Old 10-17-2002, 23:27   #7 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

OK, I've changed the extension housing seal, using a heat gun and freezer. Works a charm, you don't even need a hammer so there's no chance of damaging the seal.

I've attempted the timing cover seal but can't get the bloody nut on the fan undone! Any ideas??? Also, I now can't get the power steering belt done back up tight enough, so now when the car is on full lock it screetches, whats the best way to get the tensioner pully tight?

I have had a look at the cat and i think i'm due for a newy :( The thin outer metal covering is peeling away from the main part and looks to be vibrating on the exhaust.

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
Old 10-18-2002, 00:05   #8 (permalink)
kool kiwi bloke

no offence but are you turning the nut the right way, it is left hand thread. Use a big spanner and a hammer and smack the spanner towards the passengers side of the car (with the fan belt on of course. As for the ps belt, just nip up the nut on the idle pulley and then use a 13 mm or 1/2 inch socket or ring spanner on the double hex bit on the end of the bolt thru the pulley. If youve run out of travel then a new belt is in order.

Old 10-18-2002, 00:06   #9 (permalink)
kool kiwi bloke

dont forget to tighten the main nut afterwards!!!!!!!!

Old 10-20-2002, 06:30   #10 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

I knew it was a reverse thread, but i had the fan belt off at the time. I'll have another go when I have some spare time. The extension housing seal was the main culprit.

Just a point to anyone that undoes the 4 bolts holding the pulley onto the fan/water pump.......make sure you do em up bloody tight!!

I though I had them done up tight enough. I got in it at a shopping centre today and started it and it was making a strange clicking noise (it sounded rather like a whipper snipper motor) that rose and fell with revs, which I assumed was the bearing in the a/c tensioner pulley (its been sick for a while, squeaking and squealing etc), I thought it'd had finally died. I was going to have a look when I got home coz it was only about 3k's away. Got about halfway there and the noise stopped, oh cool i thought. YEAH RIGHT!! 2 seconds later the alternator alarm goes off, which didn't even make me think oh crap that may mean the water pump isn't being driven either!! Turn a corner and look at the temp and panic....it was tapping the red zone :( Then I clicked that the alternator is on the same belt as the fan. I get out and open the bonnet and there's coolant pissing everywhere. Turns out the noise had been caused by the 4 bolts comming loose, 2 of which the car must have chewed up and spat out somewhere along the way!! And the pulley had been off balance and wobbling, which after a while threw the fan belt!! I let it cool down and removed one bolt and put it opposite the other and did them up as tight as humanly possible and babied it home. I have to wait till tomorrow to get 2 more bolts as there was absolutely nowhere open at the time. Thing is I have to drive the car! So I've been checking them every time I get in it and hoping for the best everytime I turn the key. Seems fine so far....I'll be straight to the wreckers in the morning!

The moral of this story......NEVER trust yourself, always double check everything you undo, i certainly learned my lesson!

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech