Ford Forums banner

pacemaker extractors on au xr8

7K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Grunter 
#1 ·
well i just had pacemaker extractors and twin 2.5 inch hi flow cats fitted to my series 3 au xr8 5 speed manual today and what an improvement it made. the car is far more responsive right thru the rev range (no bottom end loss as some have suggested). the seat of the pants feel is a massive improvement over my system i had which consisted of just a 3 inch cat back system with 1 muffler. the sound has improved heeps too with a much deeper and a lot louder note than before i reckon it sounds like a touring car. just thought i would share my experience so that other 5 litre owners could get a better idea of what gains r to be had by adding a free flowing exhaust system.
regards from adam

#3 ·
did yours get a heep louder when u put the extractors on and how many muyfflers r u running

#5 ·
yeh i was wondering if it was just the extractors or also the hi flow cats that made it that much louder i knew it would get deeper and meatier but i didnt realise how loud it would be im wrapped with it. it accleerates so much smoother now as well

#6 ·
absolutely agree, nothing like freeing up from the stock headers.
After advise from my sources I got the latest Genies and still used the rest of the stock system for my Series 111. Had to change the stock cats as they were too wide with slim line ones due to the Genies being much longer in piping compared to the stock headers. Also replaced the centre mufflers with 18" straight through hot dogs but left the stock rear can.
The result is awesome,no more lag down low and the pull it has is great to feel.
The sound is deeper and tougher,its a joy to drive every day.

#7 ·
Is it worth changing the stock cats? Alot of exhaust shops say dont bother they reckon they are heaps better than the holden cats.

#8 ·
Cobra my sources advised the stock cats are fine for the street use most of us do.
I noticed while the guys were changing my stock headers to aftermarket brand headers,the cats are set back at least another foot which once monted the stock ones were too close to the gearbox and other areas that we were concerned what the heat may cause. Thats why we fitted slim line ones for my fitment otherwise I would have still used the stock ones and saved myself more $$$.

#9 ·
WILD6- running a cross piece and twin mufflers no res.the cats on ours are 21/2" high flows anyway.The sound got loader and more torque :wnc: they flange the cats and as said they are further back also more hp

#10 ·
so the au cats are 2.5" i was lead to believe they where 2-2.25". i have been looking around for some holden gen 3 cats because they are 2.5". I actually hade someone ask me if i still had my standard cats on because they thought it sounded restricted. can any one variefy the size of the au cats i may be able to stop looking

#11 ·
chrisxr8 said:
so the au cats are 2.5" i was lead to believe they where 2-2.25". i have been looking around for some holden gen 3 cats because they are 2.5". I actually hade someone ask me if i still had my standard cats on because they thought it sounded restricted. can any one variefy the size of the au cats i may be able to stop looking
I have my original exhaust off my AUII XR8 in the shed, I will have a look tomorrow, it's to cold outside now.

#13 ·
the cats on mine must of already been changed they are flanged each end and measure 21/2" they where prob done when the extractors etc where done before i got it. :fraz:

#14 ·
yeh oyeh the original cats r fatter than the hi flow's that i put onm i still have my original manifold and cats and the extractors r a lot longer than stock and cats much fatter than the hi flows.
all i can say is it really freses up and allows that 5 litre to breathe the trhing was ice skating in the dry today without even clutching it

#16 ·
all up extractors and hi flow cats were $1370 fitted
3 inch exhaust with 1 small muffler and twin dump pipe tips was $480 fitted
so for the lot it was $1850 however when i 1st wanted to get it done if i had the money for the lot it would have cost $1500 to get it done all together without the tips
sound is much much better couldnt more higly recommend it very loud and has a nice screaming rumbly note right up to redline very deep and also has the growl like the holden 5 litres have only better if u can afford it do it straight away mate best thing i have done yet
performance wise it has increased dramataically too doesnt run out of legs up the top end and i also found bottom end to improve and also mid range torque

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.