phenolic spacers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2003, 22:04   #1 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

phenolic spacers

Just wondering if anyone has these thing on their 5ltr. and if they noticed any increase in power.

I found that you can get these spacers for stock HO intake manifolds and the company reckons you will gain more hp.

Any one care to comment?
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2003, 22:25   #2 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Re: phenolic spacers

I do! Fitted it the same time as the GT40 upper, and MAF and injectors and EL GT ecu. Can feel the difference in torque, much stronger right through the range and particularly in the midrange.

Oh, and I have a spare spacer too! (staggered runners)
Old 08-04-2003, 23:05   #3 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

damn it, I wish I had staggered port intakes (explorer intake). I would have bought that off ya too.
I need one for stock intake.
Old 08-04-2003, 23:19   #4 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

What the hell are these spacers anyway?
What do they exactly do
MKII240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 23:25   #5 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

This might be a crude way of explaining it but here goes:

They sit in between the upper & lower intake manifold as an insulator. They pretty much cool the air in the upper intake while you drive which in turn makes more power because there is no heat transfer between the 2 intakes.

I rang up to ask for a price and Ford's want $180 for a 1/2" spacer to suit stock intakes. I'm assuming more for other models.

Bit pricey for a piece of plastic imo. Anyone know of a better price than that elsewhere?
Old 08-05-2003, 19:09   #6 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

Try summit racing or the likes, I think they are a bit cheaper once they are here!!!

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 19:12   #7 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

Yes I just found them, for normal intakes they are $49.95 US part#BBK-1508 and then for GT40's or Explorer Intakes they are $59.95 US part#BBK-1506

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 20:16   #8 (permalink)
ebxr8240 in New Zealand..

If you want to make your own get some meter board from an electrical wholesaler and jigsaw your own.. Or if you live around Penrith/Hornsby area ebxr8240 will have some boards for you...
ebxr8270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:50   #9 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: Re: phenolic spacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
This might be a crude way of explaining it but here goes:

They sit in between the upper & lower intake manifold as an insulator. They pretty much cool the air in the upper intake while you drive which in turn makes more power because there is no heat transfer between the 2 intakes.
They will reduce upper intake temps but not by much because you still have exhaust gasses running up into the upper manifold through the EGR system. For best results you really have to remove the EGR system, but that has its own problems.

Another way it helps is it increases the runner length which shifts the torque band down the rev range slightly. I saw a test once on an EL XR8 (I think) where they gained 1rwkw and about 5Nm of torque with a 1/2 inch spacer.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 22:50   #10 (permalink)

I also made my own one of these out of electrical insulating board (I only used 1/4" thick, as that was all i could find), and found that there was a significant drop in temperatures with it in place. For example with no spacer, if you put your hand on the upper manifold it would be pretty hot, but with this in place, if you touch it after a drive, it is only just warm.

I should add didn't notice any change in performance with this on its own, but i guess that would be because it is such a small increase, but if you can make your own cost is less of a factor, and every little bit counts.

I agree with EDXR8 in that you will not see much (if any) benefit from this if you still have the hot exhaust gases passing through the middle of ths intake. Rather than "remove the EGR system", i simply made a plug and blocked off the hole where the exhaust flows through the intake. I found i had no other problems with this, and as all the electrical stuff was still in place, there were no fault codes, and everything still looks legit. Once you block this off, remember to also remove the coolant supply to the EGR spacer, otherwise this will also be heating this up unnecessarily. I think from memory i actually got a pretty big drop in intake temperatures from just plugging the EGR hole
EL1XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech