Please help, windsor running hot. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2005, 03:50   #1 (permalink)

Please help, windsor running hot.

hi guys

ive just got my windsor on the road again. It is a highly worked little 302. It has approximately 450hp..

i have been monitoring cooling and other things over the last week or so.
It was out of timing and running a tad lean - thats what i thought was causing my issues. it wasnt overheating, just running hot. I in-turn turned the car off so it didnt proceed to overheat.

Today i got the timing fixed and put a new carby on it. a 650 double pumper. It goes loads better, is frightening to tell the truth.

tonight when i picked it up i proceeded to drive it home, i was giving it some stick just driving around - was fine for the first 5-8 minutes. it went a tad over half after this. It stayed at this until i pulled up at lights, where it went to about 65-70% of the gauge (ie "probly" about 90-100" C) so i turned around and just parked it for an hour to cool down. I then drove it home (about 2km) and it went a tad over half by the time i was in our driveway.

I then felt the bonnet to discover it was very hot. could it be the heat off my extractors causing my problems?

It has a 4 core chev radiator, and a 14 and 12" thermos coming on at 85" and off at 80". it has a aircon condenser in front of it, but i would prefer to keep it in there. It has a thermostat with no guts in it there (ie just acting as a restrictor)

any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks heaps
Blake

can anyone suggest anything that could be wrong or could help me?
302_supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2005, 06:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: Please help, windsor running hot.

In my opinion, the front of the Supra does not have enough open space to cool the 450hp 302 at idle. You're simply not getting enough airflow, so you need to overkill every step of cooling you can (good start with a 4-row radiator). It's also a common problem in the 280ZX's equipped with V8s.

Get some header wrap- that'll cut your engine temps significantly.

Also, get a 160-170 thermostat. Without a thermostat at all, the coolant does not have the time it needs in the radiator to cool down enough to keep that thing cold.

Just my ideas.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 23:13   #3 (permalink)

i was actually thinking of making up some heat guards (like shrouds over the extractors) out of the heat sheet they use for the starters etc, also serving the purpose that nothing gets fried in my engine bay. as i mentioned the bonnet was very hot when i pulled into my driveway.

would these guards help or just be wasted weight?
Old 10-11-2005, 06:54   #4 (permalink)

I couldn't imagine the heat shields helping as well as a good set of header wraps. If you want, you can try it, but I'd imagine you're already cramped for space as it is. Oh, and...

...of a 302 stuffed into a Supra.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 22:57   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmeat
I couldn't imagine the heat shields helping as well as a good set of header wraps. If you want, you can try it, but I'd imagine you're already cramped for space as it is. Oh, and...

...of a 302 stuffed into a Supra.
believe it or not there is a bit of room on both sides above the headers! the supra has a pretty wide engine bay! a cleveland would go very close to fitting i dare say!
can you host some pics on your homepage or something?

I have a few here.
Old 10-12-2005, 00:05   #6 (permalink)

First thing I would suggest is put a working thermostat back in.

The reason that it's in there in the first place is to interrupt the flow of coolant just long enough for the fluid in the radiator to be cooled.

Remember that RPM is camshaft rotation, the crank spins 2 times faster, and most water pump pullies are driven 1 to 1 with the crank, so a 6K the pump is spinning at 12K, hence the coolant will circulate at mega-litres per second, and without that interruption it will never get a chance to cool off.

Heat trapped under the hood/bonnet would just snowball the problem when you are giving it a bit, consider some way of letting the heat out.
Short of cutting vents into the lid, try removing the seal that runs across the back edge and see if that helps.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:12   #7 (permalink)

Ist thing; put in a thermostat then run it. If no different, drill two 6mm holes in outer plate of thermostat; often helps.
If it's a new engine it may benefit from a bit (a bit) more fuel to help cool it .

Like above post said, water needs to run through radiator at correct speed to be cooled properly.

Cheers
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 23:07   #8 (permalink)

the inital thermostat that was in there was too hot for her (88"C) so what we did was just cut the guts out of it. so there is an interruptor in there...is this not sufficient?

It also has one of those tefba coolant filters in the top hose.

Anyway have a look at the pics and see if you can see anything wrong.
Old 10-12-2005, 23:59   #9 (permalink)

If ya cut the guts out there is no interrupter, and offers 000.0% resistance to flow.

A coolant filter is designed to be high flow, just like a fuel filter, the only time it offers restriction is when its blocked.

Drilling holes in a thermostat is not an answer either, if ya need to do that there is something else wrong.

Early windsors used a 70C thermo, later efi ones use 92C.

Question.. Has the motor just been recond?
Old 10-13-2005, 00:54   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth04
If ya cut the guts out there is no interrupter, and offers 000.0% resistance to flow.

A coolant filter is designed to be high flow, just like a fuel filter, the only time it offers restriction is when its blocked.

Drilling holes in a thermostat is not an answer either, if ya need to do that there is something else wrong.

Early windsors used a 70C thermo, later efi ones use 92C.

Question.. Has the motor just been recond?

the motor is brand new bar block! everything is aftermarket performance bits.

Apparently there is a hose im missing that goes fromt he water pump into the intake manifold. Do please look in the photo of the front on of the car to see what im talking about and see if it is worth fixing. i bypassed the two outlets currently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech