Port match - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2004, 03:47   #1 (permalink)

Port match

Should I port match my air gap manifold to suit my heads?
The intake ports on my heads are bigger than the manifold so there wont be any issue's there.The question is will it make a difference if I match them or not?
The runners are a bit rough on the inside.Is it worth cleaning them up? If so whats the best way to do it?
Any of you guys running air gaps what did you do to yours?

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~two89w/
347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2004, 04:00   #2 (permalink)
blue66coupe

Re: Port match

Cleaned mine up (not quite air-gap but crosswind) with medium abraisive roll without enlarging much, slight mismatch helps with reversion, not sure it would be a good thing to make too big as then even minor misalignment would spell airflow disaster in the port. Want to power port mine (extrude hone) think it would provide good gains. Vr jnr opening size is 1.08 by 1.9 and is enough to pass between 250 and 280 CFM, so I think the size is not the issue, it's more the turns and shape in the manifold.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:42   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue66coupe
Cleaned mine up (not quite air-gap but crosswind) with medium abraisive roll without enlarging much, slight mismatch helps with reversion, not sure it would be a good thing to make too big as then even minor misalignment would spell airflow disaster in the port. .
I'm running a crosswind too. I opened out the ports slightly so they were larger than the runners to take advantage of reversion i just ran a flapper wheel up the runners of the manifold

97 TJ wrangler lifted 33" JT etc

04 VY SS Commadore 5.7(wifes)
krankieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 05:21   #4 (permalink)

My inlet manifold (efi) has a smaller diamter than the ports in the heads. Is this a good thing? We are talking 2-3mm here. What is reversion?
TKTDSGM Member
AU2XLSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 08:05   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Air bouncing back off valve when it closes...
Also overlap in some cams...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 17:01   #6 (permalink)

I would have thought matching the manifold ports to the head ports would assist rarefaction and reduce bog from air damming? A votexing laminar flow as opposed to a turbulant one at the ports is much more attractive IMHO.

Personally, I wouldn't polish the runners on a carby manifold, just knock out the casting seams. This will allow better mixing

I take it the air gap manifold reduces "reversion" through the carby, by allowing the unused rarefacting air/fuel mixture to be used by the other half of the manifold?
Old 09-19-2004, 05:49   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2XLSV8
My inlet manifold (efi) has a smaller diamter than the ports in the heads. Is this a good thing? We are talking 2-3mm here. What is reversion?
the valve opening and closing with the flow of air in the port creates preasure waves in the manifold/ port By having the step at where the head meets the manifold it helps to reverse the direction of the wave (well thats the theory as I understand it)

97 TJ wrangler lifted 33" JT etc

04 VY SS Commadore 5.7(wifes)
krankieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:18   #8 (permalink)
blue66coupe

Reversion is exactly what the name implies, reversal of gas flow in the runners, usually including exhaust gas ,ie black runner walls and in the carb, too many causes to get involved in debate but big cam with low rpm is no1 on the list. A step in the head to manifold flange will not help a great deal but like with anti reversion header it must help a bit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech