Porting 351W heads yourself - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2005, 16:29   #1 (permalink)

Porting 351W heads yourself

Anyone else tried this yet? I had very good results when I did it years ago. I just ported the exhaust side, out to the diameter of the exhaust gasket holes, and blended it in towards the combustion chamber. Also got the pressed in rocker studs removed, and put in screw in studs. You have to mill the pedestals down a bit and drill and tap the holes, but it was worth the price. With a set of roller tipped rockers you have a mean set of heads fairly cheap. If you have extra cash, consider larger vales too.

I got the info years ago from HotRod or CarCraft magazine. They did an article about it.
don67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2005, 02:25   #2 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Re: Porting 351W heads yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by don67
Anyone else tried this yet? I had very good results when I did it years ago. I just ported the exhaust side, out to the diameter of the exhaust gasket holes, and blended it in towards the combustion chamber. Also got the pressed in rocker studs removed, and put in screw in studs. You have to mill the pedestals down a bit and drill and tap the holes, but it was worth the price. With a set of roller tipped rockers you have a mean set of heads fairly cheap. If you have extra cash, consider larger vales too.

I got the info years ago from HotRod or CarCraft magazine. They did an article about it.
I think home porting is worth doing if the heads are still in good condition and your plan was to reuse them any way.

BUT when you need to spend money on
guides
valves
hardened seats
screw in studs
push rod guide plates
machining
Then gt40p's are a better place to start or even World products heads

Last edited by 302xm; 12-03-2005 at 02:34. Reason: reworded
302xm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 18:39   #3 (permalink)
Randy Williams

how do you port these heads? i have a set of 85 heads that blow ass when it comes to flow numbers. (therma flow restrictor or something similar to that name.) they have these humps in the intake ports, (could be the exaust side, it's been awhile since i last looked.) but i also need a valve job from what the machine shop said. would it be worth the time and money, to redo these?

i am eventually going with 185cc afr's. just figured i'd ask about the stockers.
95RANGER351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:18   #4 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Quote:
therma flow restrictor or something similar to that name
sounds about right
If your building your engine to use AFR 185's then these heads will suck save your money and use it towards the AFR's
Quote:
In 1985 ford went to the E5AE head, which was little more than a modified D9AE casting designed for easy roller tappet removel with the heads installed.
The exhaust port has fords famous thermactor injection hump which can be ground out to improve flow .
try these links...
DIY PORTING
SA Abrasives
Old 12-05-2005, 17:37   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by don67
Anyone else tried this yet? I had very good results when I did it years ago. I just ported the exhaust side, out to the diameter of the exhaust gasket holes, and blended it in towards the combustion chamber.
The most benefit from "porting", is not actually "porting", but valve and bowl work. Gasket matching like what you have done is virtually worthless.
Old 12-27-2005, 19:54   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer
The most benefit from "porting", is not actually "porting", but valve and bowl work. Gasket matching like what you have done is virtually worthless.

The exhaust side of these stock heads is weak. Then there is also a small bump. Gasket matching as you call it, opens up a substantial amount of extra exhaust flow if you blend it all the way into the chambers. I did.

Add a bit of home chamber polishing and a 3 angle valve job and you have a decent set of heads relatively cheap.

These were also the early model quench heads, not the later big chamber beasts.

Most info I've read on porting says a home job does about 60-80% gain of what a pro job would produce.

whatever...
don67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech