Porting MAF sensor... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2003, 07:39   #1 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

Question Porting MAF sensor...

Hi all,
I am about to purchase a bigger MAF sensor for an ED 5.0L.
I was going to go for the AU type, and change over my hot wire sensor.
After having a look at my brothers, AU MAF sensor I noticed the inside has a piece across the middle of it.
I know the AU MAF will still out flow the stock sensor (70mm v 55mm). However, by how much, as the cross sectional area either side of the piece inside would come close to the area inside the stock maf?
So as a thought, has anyone ported the inside of an AU maf?
If so would a unichip / FMU be required to adjust the air/fuel ratio, (considering they apparently run rich anyhow?) or will the ecu learn?
Or would a flanged 73 'Vortech" MAF be a better choice?
Sorry for all the questions, but I see that there is a lot of people trying to decide which maf to buy, (FMS, C&L/Vortech, GMS/PRO-M, etc) and everyone has a different opinion.
Maybe I should go with an unmodified AU sensor...(seems like the cheapest option, which is also a consideration). What a can of worms!
Any thoughts or advice will help me (and others) greatly as the stock MAF sensor has to go soon.
Cheers!
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2003, 15:32   #2 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Re: Porting MAF sensor...

As I understand it, porting MAF's is a bad idea, since your modifying the flow properties of the thing, which the electronics have been specifically programmed / matched to.

Vague memory says that AU MAF connectors are different to E series ones . . . (but I'd check that).

Honestly, I'd go a Vortech, but once installed, get it dynoed and check the AFR to make sure it hasn't leaned out or gone rich on you . . .

As you said, there are about 4 million opinions on MAF's, and I don't think most people (myself included) fully understand how they and the ecu relate... I think I'm gonna make today "MAF Research Day", given the otherwise unpalatable option of thinking about work stuff

Last edited by XR8 Lamah; 11-04-2003 at 15:35.
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 15:43   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

The 80mm maf from a Ford Lincoln is another choice...Yes the connectors need to be changed over from e series to au..solder and to do nice purchase some heat shrink no one will know...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 15:46   #4 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

How much to buy an AU XR8 maf? 2nd hand and new price?
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:11   #5 (permalink)

au series 111 xr8 MAF cost $1800 from ford
stock eb can be bored to 73mm i think (i haveheard this anyway) and it is just as good as the au type but as far as A/F ratio u'd need a dyno and maybe a unichip or somthing to change it and the kw gain from all this cost would be sfa
check out mustang books from the states they have so much info on the eb-el series engine
EBV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:16   #6 (permalink)

i lied i think it can be bored to 63mm which is still better than 55mm
EBV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:29   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBV8
au series 111 xr8 MAF cost $1800 from ford
Err, have u got 1 too many zeros in the price? Surely that's a bit on the high side...

Btw, what is the control circuit for the MAF wire? I'd assume it's some closed loop system of some kind that needs to be carefully calibrated. But how hard is it to just hang a longer wire over a bigger body using the same control circuit?
Old 11-05-2003, 04:58   #8 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

An AU series one and two MAF is $640 from ford, although it can be purchased elsewhere for around $450, and good luck in finding one second hand.
The C&L/Vortech maf is $542 (from capa)
The GMS/PRO-M maf is$600 (VPW)
Iím also guessing the 80mm maf from a Ford Lincoln would require a unichip or something to change the A/F ratio.
I was after the best maf without any further mods like a chip/reprogramming or FMU.
The AU maf will work with the stock injectors if the connectors/hotwire are changed over (as far as I know).
The GMS unit seems to be calibrated the best but if other injectors are to be used at later date a new maf sensor is required or the old one sent to the USA to be recalibrated.
The vortech unit can change its sample tube to cater for a change in the injector size but the calibration can be a little hit and miss.
I noticed on the C&L website that there 76mm maf sensors have been calibrated with greater accuracy by testing on the dyno.
http://www.cnlperformance.com/maf_86-93.html
Does anyone know of a 'flanged' 76mm MAF, seems like the best option if they exist, if so has anyone used or know where to pick one up?
Thanks for the replies...
dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 06:09   #9 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

C&L are $130 U.S so $542 is way too much..
The GMS is better tuned as it doesn't interfare with load settings as much...And the price here is relative to U.S prices..

www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 06:23   #10 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Replied to your PM.

As ebxr8240 has done, just checked the price in the US, and jegs have the Vortech/C&L ones for $126US, which means even with freight you will have it for about $285-$300. I have ordered from jegs plenty of times and have found them to be really good.

www.jegs.com the part number for the 19lb MAF is 933-8A101-021 and 933-8A101-022 for the 24lb calibrated one.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech