Pre-Supercharger - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2004, 05:09   #1 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

Pre-Supercharger

I've been waiting to ask this for ages but I have heaps of time to think about it, now just need some opinions...

I have decided that I want a Vortech Supercharger because my car is a daily driver but I want (quite a bit) more power than I have now. However, this will not be for ages (after I'm off my Ps) but I was wondering if I should bother doing anything else to the engine beforehand.

Will it be better to replace the heads, intake, cam, roller rockers etc to suit a supercharger? I read somewhere here that smaller heads and intake can actually be better for S/C... If aftermarket heads and intake is the go, can someone give me specifics? I know that I should do a mild rebuild as the engine has a few kms on it and may not like high psi. Also I was thinking about getting roller rockers within the next few weeks for a little boost, is this wise?

Just a few questions first to start me off. I've searched but the only similar thread I found was blueoval's asking a similar question.

Cheers.
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2004, 05:44   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: Pre-Supercharger

Really depends on how much power you want. A Vortech pushing 10psi can get around 240rwkw on a fairly stock engine. Upgrading things like heads, intake, cam etc will give you more power but that money could be going towards the blower. If you do upgrade, you want to keep your compression down below 9.0:1 if possible and get a cam which has an exhaust bias.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:16   #3 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

Thanks for the reply once again EDXR8. I want a minimum of 250fwkw or 200rwkw but I will raise the psi once I'm ready for more power. Is 2031 cam S/C ready as well as 1.72 rockers? If that is all I'll need (besides springs, gaskets etc), I'll be pretty happy..
Old 06-28-2004, 06:21   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Yeah the 2031 with 1.72's is a nice blower cam. Other than that you will probably want to recon the bottom end and heads (if you aren't upgrading them) as boost will kill a worn engine.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 16:09   #5 (permalink)
need BOOST

ford drone,

I have a (CAPA) Vortech kit sitting under my bed for my AU XR8 series 1. Waiting for tax return so I can change insurance and do a few things to the car before I install.

I am going to add an engine oil cooler, and another transmission oil cooler (auto). I also want to completely change the fluid in my auto to help it live a bit longer, but AU's didn't come with a dipstick/filler tube which is a bit frustrating...

I am not real excited about the FMU, and "chip" that comes with the CAPA kit. I am thinking about bigger injectors, MAF and a unichip tune, and ditching the water injection. Need to talk to a few people about that first though.

I am interested to hear how you go.

DT
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 16:37   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Here you go buddy..

http://www.corral.net/forums/forumdi...hp?forumid=311

Imo depending on condition of engine and remember the block is NOT as strong as internals in good nick..With blown engines the indution is not as important as its being forced through anyway..But it will make a difference obvously..I would look out for some "lower compression" cylinder heads, or rebuild with some low comp pistons.. Inlet etc can be replaced anytime..The std maf maybe reaching its peak flow and peg out. There are aftermarket mafs made just for this to calibrate to your injectors as well....
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 01:43   #7 (permalink)

i would seriosly look at upgrading the injectors aswell, 30lb's minimum

http://www.fpvtickfordclubwa.com.au/phpBB2/index.php

http://www.tweecer.com

http://www.icenet.com.au/~pie
eb2flyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:26   #8 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

24lb injectors come with the package but I think I may go for 30lb after that, depending on if I feel that it is enough power as it is. It also comes with a bigger MAF too (thank god) replacing my 55mm straw.

As for the rebuild I was thinking about getting ARP bolts through heads and bottom end. As for pistons and pushrods etc, I don't know, I am not after every last kw. Same goes for heads and intake, I know it will make more power but if what EDXR8 says is true, 240rwkw on a 'stock system' will be heaps, especially for a daily driver!

Thanks for all the input guys, really opens my eyes.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech