radiator leak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2003, 00:49   #1 (permalink)

radiator leak

big issue my car was running outside a meates place with a/c set on low and it dummped all the fluid, dont know why and every now and then it still does it i though it was wen i thrashed it but on fri night it done it again without me being stupid drove it to shops and bak parked it for 2min and moved it and it dummped it again. and idears

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2003, 02:37   #2 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Re: radiator leak

Are you sure its the radiator ?
It's quite common for the problem to be in the hosing. You really need to try and find out exactly where it is coming from ( which is hard if it is at night ). Keep a torch in the car, and keep a good eye on the coolant warning light ( if you've got one ).

Even if you check it now, there is a good chance of being able to spot some dried coolant on the pipes or radiator where it is leaking from (tends to go a bit white & crusty).

In any case, I'd be trying extra hard to track it down - the odds are if its leaking erratically it going to go fully in a big way, and at that point your quite often stranded

Oh, check its not from the coolant overflow pipe - there might be something forcing it to barf back out (altho I can't think of a reason why).
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 04:01   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

First is there any leaks or is it just poiling and overflowing coolant everywhere..If it's the latter first of check or replace thermostat [$10-$20] then radiator cap. If it cannot presurise this will happen so check for any leaks..This is a prime case of a blown head gasget also if it's a six esp...Check for water marks under exhaust manifold..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 04:11   #4 (permalink)

a mate of mine had this happen to his car a few times, found himself standing in a pool of coolant. are all of your sirclips on properly? is everything tight with not much tolerance? I.e radiator hoses...Id say replace thermostat like eb says, and see how it goes. Dont let it boil too many times...can cause you problems in gaskets!
302_supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 04:12   #5 (permalink)

im 95% sure its cumming from the over flow pipe the light has come on twice but i stopped and filled it straight up, and i cant seem to find any leaks around it just dumps the whole lot at once it started as a whole dump filled it up then a few drips now it just dumps the lot every now an again

the cars never been past half way on the temp gauge so its not overheating. i hope it normally sits on the cold line once at running temp but one time wen the light was on it was about 1/4 up so it wasnt to hot

Last edited by XRQTOR; 10-16-2003 at 04:15.
Old 10-16-2003, 22:45   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

What yeat ? If it's early ea / ed's I suggest fitting new head bolts one at a time..Sounds like gasget is leaking and presureising system and blowing coolant out...
Make sure fan is working properly...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 01:11   #7 (permalink)

yeah was just thinking there must be a pressure build-up somewhere in the system...have the engine compression tested perhaps?
302_supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 05:23   #8 (permalink)
OFR #7

I have had this problem a number of times! The car dumps the coolant via the overflow. I found that this was a common occurance after a dealer service. The fix was to simply remove the cap, top up the coolant and replace the cap. I would NEVER have any problems again until the next service. I have never noticed any significant coolant loss between services and the car always runs approx. mid range on the temp gauge.

I had the injectors cleaned recently and this required the removal of the upper intake manifold. After the service was complete I had the car drop coolant twice, again via the overflow. It came good after the second time which may be due to the way the coolant is replaced, warm engine (not hot) and thermostat probably open, but I honestly don't know??

It's been over 3 momths since the last coolant drop and I haven't needed to top up the coolant, this includes the recent warmer weather in sunny Melbourne and a number of runs at Calder. Maybe it's an air lock, go figure!

APS Stage II = 267rwkw = 12.16@118.5mph on street tyres

Last edited by Big Mick; 10-17-2003 at 05:28.
Big Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:28   #9 (permalink)

its an ef xr8 going in for a service soon so ill wait as it hasnt happened again yet, the fan works fine comes on and runs.

Old 10-21-2003, 18:08   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
im 95% sure its cumming from the over flow pipe the light has come on twice but i stopped and filled it straight up, and i cant seem to find any leaks around it just dumps the whole lot at once it started as a whole dump filled it up then a few drips now it just dumps the lot every now an again

the cars never been past half way on the temp gauge so its not overheating. i hope it normally sits on the cold line once at running temp but one time wen the light was on it was about 1/4 up so it wasnt to hot

I'd be willing to bet that it is a dodgy Thermostat. My wifes I6 EL just did this on Sunday night. The temp gauge read normal but the coolant light came on, when I stopped to check, the coolant had been dumped.

Filled the bugger up again, while the car was running, turn the engine off - and dump.

On the I6, the temp sender is b4 the thermostat (I think) so it only sees the cool water that isn't actually circulating thru the motor because of the stuck thermostat.

Another fine product from Bastards Incorporated.....lol

Neway might well be the same for you - worth a look at least
AU1XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech