Ford Forums banner

radiator leak

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  XRQTOR 
#1 ·
big issue my car was running outside a meates place with a/c set on low and it dummped all the fluid, dont know why and every now and then it still does it i though it was wen i thrashed it but on fri night it done it again without me being stupid drove it to shops and bak parked it for 2min and moved it and it dummped it again. and idears

#2 ·
Are you sure its the radiator ?
It's quite common for the problem to be in the hosing. You really need to try and find out exactly where it is coming from ( which is hard if it is at night ). Keep a torch in the car, and keep a good eye on the coolant warning light ( if you've got one ).

Even if you check it now, there is a good chance of being able to spot some dried coolant on the pipes or radiator where it is leaking from (tends to go a bit white & crusty).

In any case, I'd be trying extra hard to track it down - the odds are if its leaking erratically it going to go fully in a big way, and at that point your quite often stranded :p

Oh, check its not from the coolant overflow pipe - there might be something forcing it to barf back out (altho I can't think of a reason why).

#3 ·
First is there any leaks or is it just poiling and overflowing coolant everywhere..If it's the latter first of check or replace thermostat [$10-$20] then radiator cap. If it cannot presurise this will happen so check for any leaks..This is a prime case of a blown head gasget also if it's a six esp...Check for water marks under exhaust manifold..

#4 ·
a mate of mine had this happen to his car a few times, found himself standing in a pool of coolant. are all of your sirclips on properly? is everything tight with not much tolerance? I.e radiator hoses...Id say replace thermostat like eb says, and see how it goes. Dont let it boil too many times...can cause you problems in gaskets!

#5 · (Edited)
im 95% sure its cumming from the over flow pipe the light has come on twice but i stopped and filled it straight up, and i cant seem to find any leaks around it just dumps the whole lot at once it started as a whole dump filled it up then a few drips now it just dumps the lot every now an again

the cars never been past half way on the temp gauge so its not overheating. i hope it normally sits on the cold line once at running temp but one time wen the light was on it was about 1/4 up so it wasnt to hot

#6 ·
What yeat ? If it's early ea / ed's I suggest fitting new head bolts one at a time..Sounds like gasget is leaking and presureising system and blowing coolant out...
Make sure fan is working properly...

#8 · (Edited)
I have had this problem a number of times! The car dumps the coolant via the overflow. I found that this was a common occurance after a dealer service. The fix was to simply remove the cap, top up the coolant and replace the cap. I would NEVER have any problems again until the next service. I have never noticed any significant coolant loss between services and the car always runs approx. mid range on the temp gauge.

I had the injectors cleaned recently and this required the removal of the upper intake manifold. After the service was complete I had the car drop coolant twice, again via the overflow. It came good after the second time which may be due to the way the coolant is replaced, warm engine (not hot) and thermostat probably open, but I honestly don't know??

It's been over 3 momths since the last coolant drop and I haven't needed to top up the coolant, this includes the recent warmer weather in sunny Melbourne and a number of runs at Calder. Maybe it's an air lock, go figure!

#10 ·
XRQTOR said:
im 95% sure its cumming from the over flow pipe the light has come on twice but i stopped and filled it straight up, and i cant seem to find any leaks around it just dumps the whole lot at once it started as a whole dump filled it up then a few drips now it just dumps the lot every now an again

the cars never been past half way on the temp gauge so its not overheating. i hope it normally sits on the cold line once at running temp but one time wen the light was on it was about 1/4 up so it wasnt to hot

I'd be willing to bet that it is a dodgy Thermostat. My wifes I6 EL just did this on Sunday night. The temp gauge read normal but the coolant light came on, when I stopped to check, the coolant had been dumped.

Filled the bugger up again, while the car was running, turn the engine off - and dump.

On the I6, the temp sender is b4 the thermostat (I think) so it only sees the cool water that isn't actually circulating thru the motor because of the stuck thermostat.

Another fine product from Bastards Incorporated.....lol

Neway might well be the same for you - worth a look at least

#11 ·
Start with a new radiator cap, easier then doing the thermostat, and more than likely the cause, as it is not holding the pressure any more, then move onto the thermostat, but all up to you, so look at both in the scheme of things.

Dellboy999

#12 ·
Dellboy999 said:
Start with a new radiator cap, easier then doing the thermostat, and more than likely the cause, as it is not holding the pressure any more, then move onto the thermostat, but all up to you, so look at both in the scheme of things.

Dellboy999
good point Dellboy, I new mine was thermostat because i had the cap off and it was dumping about 3 litres when the engine turned off and none when the cap was on.

Oh and also the plastic cover on the rocker was too hot to touch, so it was bit of a giveway in my case.

#13 ·
well i finally got the old man to look at my car as the leak got pretty bad refilled once a day , so he stripped the engine cover off and its the water pump leaking well i had it fixed today and the bloke said the gasket between the block and timing cover had shit itself so i got a new pump, sender and all the little bits and we found out the temp gauge isnt working properly had ford test it and they said the same thing so gotta get that fixed now. anyway thankz for all the info (i tried the new cap seemed to work for 2 days then leak came bak)

#14 ·
and last sat i had some gutless person back into my car and scratch the shit out of the newly painted rear end and put a dent in the right rear quarter, only got it back on the friday. ok accidents happed but to pissoff and not even leave a note that really shits me. i had most of the dent pulled out and the car buffed but theres still a few marks so im gunna get the quarter resprayed so theres more lost money cause some c**t couldnt park straight, i even parked it at the far end so this wouldnt happen

well i dont think im allowed to do this but to draggon from dent's are us you done a great job mate keep up the good work.

#16 ·
ok had my car fixed got it back tuesday and on thursday the harmonic balancer shit itself fine all day wens but thrusday moring it was f**ked from the word go now the balancer needs to come off to get the timing chain cover off doesnt it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.