replacing upper intake manifold - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2003, 22:11   #1 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Lightbulb replacing upper intake manifold

replacing the upper intake manifold with an exploere manifold, is it absolutely necessary to replace lower intake manifold to??

This will be the 1st stage of modifying the engine, as it has extractors exhaust already.

After that, few weeks later, a cam, heads and rockers will be fitted.

Is there any risk just replacing the intake manifold with an explorer intake, and driving the car for a few weeks, or is it best to do all at once?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2003, 22:50   #2 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

what engine are you talking about first?

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
Old 03-21-2003, 23:07   #3 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally posted by SiX_iN_a_RoW
what engine are you talking about first?

EL1 XR8 5ltr
Old 03-22-2003, 05:08   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Yes, you need the lower as well. Te ports on your stock 'HO' manifold are in-line, and the explorer one are stagered ports. Also, you need to remove the intake to do a cam change, so wait and do it all at the same time. The explorer, cobra and GT40 all use the same lower, usually called the GT40 lower. One final thing, make sure you get an EL series 2 explorer intake, and not the AU one. The AU one does not have the EGR port as far as I know, and will not suit your EL1, which needs the EGR.
Old 03-22-2003, 16:02   #5 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Thomas

No risk as such in just doing the intake but it is a very labour intensive job so I'd be inclined to wait until the other parts are available and do it all at once.
Old 03-22-2003, 23:22   #6 (permalink)
Not Fast Enough, Dammit!

As has been said before, the two intakes are not interchangable.
Here are 2 pics just to give you graphical peace of mind :s6:

And If it were my money or time, i would definately be waiting to do the whole lot at once
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imgp0014.jpg (46.9 KB, 185 views)
Old 03-23-2003, 00:36   #7 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Yeah, thx guys for the info. I might save myself some hassels and wait till i get a cam aswell otherwise id probably be wasting money on labour work for nothing. I suppose the roller rockers would have the same situation too, so all at once it is.
I'll probably go with the crane cam 2031 too. sounds like it should do the job ok

Thomas
Old 03-23-2003, 05:20   #8 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Also note on the number 5 runner there is no hole for the ACT sensor. This will need to be drilled and tapped into the new one.
Old 03-23-2003, 15:43   #9 (permalink)

I wouldn't be too worried about getting the EL2 upper, just so the EGR hooked up. I blocked the EGR port at the head/intake interface, with the aim of lowering the intake manifold temperatures (since the hot exhaust gas doesn't flow through it). I got an AU style 65mm TB and EGR spacer at the same time as my 'explorer' manifold, and so that everything looked legal, i bolted the EGR valve back onto the AU EGR spacer (i needed to drill & tap holes for the studs, as the AU one had no EGR valve). No engine fault codes, and everything looks OK. Remember to plug or loop the EGR coolant lines too.

I also went with the crane 2031 cam, and i am pretty happy with it (i have an auto). Idle sounds a lot more agressive than stock cam, and virtually no low end torque loss. I did the cam change after i had installed the new manifold, and the cam change by itself dropped my quarter mile times from 14.68 to (a traction limited) 14.42, with no other changes. You probably know this anyway, but the 2031 is meant for 1.7 rockers. Make sure you change your timing chain too, as if was anything like mine, the stock one was pretty loose.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:41   #10 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally posted by EL1XR8
I wouldn't be too worried about getting the EL2 upper, just so the EGR hooked up. I blocked the EGR port at the head/intake interface, with the aim of lowering the intake manifold temperatures (since the hot exhaust gas doesn't flow through it). I got an AU style 65mm TB and EGR spacer at the same time as my 'explorer' manifold, and so that everything looked legal, i bolted the EGR valve back onto the AU EGR spacer (i needed to drill & tap holes for the studs, as the AU one had no EGR valve). No engine fault codes, and everything looks OK. Remember to plug or loop the EGR coolant lines too.

I also went with the crane 2031 cam, and i am pretty happy with it (i have an auto). Idle sounds a lot more agressive than stock cam, and virtually no low end torque loss. I did the cam change after i had installed the new manifold, and the cam change by itself dropped my quarter mile times from 14.68 to (a traction limited) 14.42, with no other changes. You probably know this anyway, but the 2031 is meant for 1.7 rockers. Make sure you change your timing chain too, as if was anything like mine, the stock one was pretty loose.

Judging by a few responses, im a bit confused to which manifold to actually get. The one used on the EL GT, would it be ok or not?
Also, whats the go with the one on the AU XR8's or the EL2 XR8

i thinks its illegal to actually block the hole on the EGR valve anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech