roller bearing for cam - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2005, 05:19   #1 (permalink)

roller bearing for cam

At what stage does it become needed to use roller bearings for the cam to run on, my local machine shop says you get about 25Hp more and they are more reliable than std bearings even in street cars. This guy has also told me that a dart block would need 1K worth of machine work so I am maybe starting to loose faith in him.

Any suggestions, why shouldn't I use them, cost? any one know how much they are worth?

Do they feed from regular oil circuits or splash oiling from the cam?
ltd351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2005, 05:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: roller bearing for cam

Most roller bearings are grease lubricated (ie: wheel bearings).
The thing is to go from a plain bearing, such as the type in most engines, to a roller bearing, you require more space for the bearing to fit. That can be done by making the diameter of the cam bearing lobes smaller (making them weaker) or by machining the bearing seat out. To get any real benefit from a roller bearing, it needs to be large to handle the loads but on it - which could be an extra 10mm larger then a plain bearing. This ofcourse is where the cost comes into it.
Unless u want big power, such as near 800hp, then i cant see the point really.
1966 Blue Ford Galaxie - 4Dr Sedan, Pwr Steering, 302 Windsor, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, 650 Holley Race Custom , Crow Cam 15666, Rollmaster Camgear, Heads Ported, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Billet Dizzy, Crane Energizer Roller Rockers, C4 - Stage 2 Shift Kit, HiStall 2500rpm, B&M Z-Gate Shifter, XY GT Radiator, 2.92 9" Diff, Dual Thermofans, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, RCI 16gal Fuel Cell.
AusCaRnAgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:20   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Use what Dart supply...Cheeze!! You are turboing it right? So the cam won't be that radical..There is no issues with cam bearings when oil supply is right...If the cam journals are made smaller to fit the cam lobes won't fit through cam bearings..There is an option but that means machining where you put bigger cam bearings in to allow higher lift cams to fit through as explained in Dart specs..But you won't need that...

Talk to guys like Mick Webb etc they have been there done that..With high end motors...You will have to get custom pistons to get compression around 8.5 or lower...Unless you option for 70 cc or so chamber heads...
Allow extra clearance and run a hi vol Mellings pump with good pan crank scrapper / windage tray and you can't go wrong...Btw its better to feed turbo from rear oil gallery behind or back of inlet...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 18:56   #4 (permalink)

It helps with a flat tappet cam where the cam is being pulled into the block by the lobe taper. But i would avoid it if it is not required for you application. Just more things to potentially go wrong, and (not likely) more possibility of needle rollers in your sump...
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 00:45   #5 (permalink)

cheers guys sounds like i don't need it.
Old 04-26-2005, 17:44   #6 (permalink)

Incidently, i misread your post. I was talking about roller thrust plates.

In regards to roller cam bearings, its not needed unless you are running a solid roller with about 350lb on the seat.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 00:47   #7 (permalink)

racer I will only have about 240 on the seat I think just going to use a flat tappet, should i look into roller thrust or not bother about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech

Related Reading: roller bearing for cam