Roller Rockers for 5ltr - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2003, 06:15   #1 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Lightbulb Roller Rockers for 5ltr

After a set of roller rockers for an EL XR8

Anyone have suggestions to which are best to purchse, price, location, power increase etc

Car only has extractors, exhaust on it. all rest of engine is stock inc heads, manifold etc
MKII240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2003, 07:17   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Street Terra 2027's are the ones I used. They are straight bolt on units with the increased 1.72 ratio, which will give you a little more lift on the stock cam. I think they are around $500, and should give you around 10-15rwkw I would imagine.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 12:27   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

Hey EDXR8,

Do they fit under the original steel rocker covers, or did you have to get new ones.
Chris Nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 15:18   #4 (permalink)

I also fitted a set of the yella terra ST2027's to my EL XR8. I can't tell you or a power increase on their own, as i fitted them at the same time i had the heads off for some porting.

Real easy to fit, and i didn't have any problems with fouling with anything else like rocker covers.

As far as price goes, i rang a few places when i got them, and they were cheapest if you brought direct from yella terra (in morrabbin if i remember correctly). One thing you might want to check if you buy from yella terra direct is to see if they have any "factory seconds" that Ford rejected. You see, these were the same rockers that were fitted to the later model XR8's, and Ford apparently had a pretty strict quality control policy. I think the set i got (which they mixed and matched from a few reject sets to get a good complete set) only cost me $360, compared to the $540 for 'perfect' set. I got these back in OCtober 02, and have had no problems with them yet (hopefully never). I don't know if these reject sets are still available, but if you're in the area, it might save you a few dollars.
EL1XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 18:08   #5 (permalink)

Clearance is not a problem. Even with 550th lift (stock has 440th by memory), they still clear my stock rocker covers.
Old 03-06-2003, 18:34   #6 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Herrods have some for $450 per set. Don't know if they're the ST2027, but a phone call would confirm it for you.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 08:19   #7 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally posted by EDXR8
Street Terra 2027's are the ones I used. They are straight bolt on units with the increased 1.72 ratio, which will give you a little more lift on the stock cam. I think they are around $500, and should give you around 10-15rwkw I would imagine.

Did you fit them yourself or did you have them professionally fitted?

I have never fitted rockers before. how hard is it and how long does it take? Ive pulled apart nearly every other thing on the car before but havent mucked around with engine components
Old 03-08-2003, 00:19   #8 (permalink)

I fitted them myself, it took a couple of hours, allow a full saturday though. The hardest thing, is that you have to take the upper intake manifold off to be able to remove the rocker cover.

By memory, you remove all pipes and wires running to the upper manifold, and remove the manifold. Remove the rocker cover, and then the rocker arms one at a time while there is no load on them. Oil the new roller rockers and put them in, again tightening them up with no load on the spring. Put the rocker covers and intake manifold back on, I actually had to remove the alternator, because the rocker covers wouldn't go back on with the alternator in place.
Old 03-15-2003, 00:49   #9 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

eek

Quote:
Originally posted by EDXR8
EDXR8

I didnt think rockers would give such an increase to my engine as it has stock cam and heads. Is that increase quoted above, with other engine mods needed or is that achievable with the current engine setup i have?

Thomas
Old 03-15-2003, 01:04   #10 (permalink)

Firstly, the ST2027's increse the rocker ratio from 1.6 to 1.72 giving 33th more lift on the stock cam and about 2 degrees extra duration at 50th lift.

Secondly, and more improtantly, the roler rockers don't have anywhere near the friction losses that the standard rockers have. Some claim that over 15kw is lost purely in the friction of the standard rockers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech