Ford Forums banner

Roller Rockers or Extractors

5K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  JC-XR8 
#1 ·
I have been given the green light to spend my tax cheque on the car. It is not a huge amount so I am looking at 3 options:

1. Yella Terra 1.72 ratio Roller Rockers (ST2027) at around $510 plus fitting
2. Pacemaker extractors @ $850 including fitting
3. Advance headers @ $850 including fitting.

I am leaning towards the Roller Rockers at this stage, but is it worth getting them before I get an exhaust - remembering that I can only get one or the other at the moment, so I need to go for which one will give me more punch now. The car has a 3" cats back system already, and has good pickup from about 2500/3000 rpm - I'm hoping the RRs will give it a bit more down low.

Am I on the right track, or should I get the extractors first, so that the RRs make a bigger difference when i eventually fit them (next year?). Help! Anybody fitted the RRs at all? Did you fit them before any exhaust work? Did they make a noticeable difference?

#2 ·
hi JC..
Im pretty sure everyone will agree that, the exhaust system will give you heaps more gain than the roller rockers!! But as I found i lost abit of lower down torque, it was rather un-nerving, but once the car was chipped the difference was huge.
The difference in power form the valve lift, to extractors will be quiet minor im sorry my friend.

#5 ·
Yeah go the extractors first. BTW, the advance headers are only $390 to buy off the shelf, $460 to install is way too much. Even with the pacemakers you are paying around $200 installation which is still too much IMO but closer to what I would expect.

#7 ·
Thanks guys - as usual, I got impulsive, so RRs are on the way - also the $350 saving on the price of extractors will go towards the extractors - just need to add to it until I get enough. Also, might get the extractors done at the dyno day if i can convince her indoors! I am also looking at other options for extractors - perhaps some second hand HM headers (bluedriver??).

I agree the fitting charge is a bit steep, but each place I've talked to says it is between 3 and 4 hours labour, so $200 is about right.

Now, anyone know how to fit RRs????

#17 ·
just out of curiosity what size maf did the auI xr8's have? could also be another option to go with the rr's, but definetly do the exhaust first, then start working on the intake side of things

#20 ·
Thanks guys. I do plan to do both, this was a case of which should I do first? I went the 1.72 ratio rockers because they are supposed to be good for around 10% gain. Extractors would be lucky to be 5 to 8% gain (from past experience).

As a baseline, I did 2 G-Tech runs tonight. Stalling up to around 1500rpm each time (any more produced too much wheelspin), I got 0-100 times of 7.71 and 7.65. Looked up an olds Wheels mag and they quote 7.2 for the manual, so I'm happy with that time given it's a 120,000km old auto. Will be interesting to see what the times are after the RRs, then after the exhaust (eventually).

Racecraft - this may sound like a stupid question, but how do I get to TDC - I'm assuming you mean on cylinder 1, so do I just rotate the crank till it hits TDC? I know what the letters stand for, but I wouldn't have a clue how to tell if I've reached it!

#21 ·
You don't need TDC, just a point where both inlet and exhaust valves are fully closed on the cylinder you are working on. What I find easy is to rotate the engine until the exhaust valve opens and closes, just as the exhaust closes, the inlet opens. Once the inlet closes fully you are on the cams base circle so you can then remove the rockers and replace them.

#22 · (Edited)
EDXR8 said:
You don't need TDC, just a point where both inlet and exhaust valves are fully closed on the cylinder you are working on. What I find easy is to rotate the engine until the exhaust valve opens and closes, just as the exhaust closes, the inlet opens. Once the inlet closes fully you are on the cams base circle so you can then remove the rockers and replace them.
I used your method and it worked a treat. First start produced no abnormal noises - I was more than a little relieved. In fact, it was a pretty easy process in the end - the first time I have ever done any mods that involved moving engine parts.

After I installed them, I went up to the highway and did 2 0-100 runs. First with 80km DTE showing and trans in econ mode, got a 7.46. For the second run, I went and filled up with Caltex Vortex, and put the auto trans into performance mode and got 7.41. Both runs were on exactly the same piece of road, and both with tyres chirping/spinning (only a little). I stalledup to 1500 rpm - the same as last time, but it produced wheelspin this time. May have to try one run without stalling the trans up, just to see what time I would get. So the RRs have knocked around 0.3 seconds off 0-100 (maybe more if I could eliminate the wheelspin). The overall feel is better than that though, as now a light touch on the throttle produces good accceleration. It is sort of running out of puff at around 4500rpm though, so I'm sure a set of competition pacemakers will fix that up!

Is there any benefit in now resetting the computer? I might disconnect it tomorrow night anyway, and see if it makes a difference on Saturday.

Anyway, now for some photos. The RRs in the pack (wooopee!)

Half the RRs installed - they are a lot bigger then standard

And the lot installed

Everything back together, showing the wrinkled finish on the manifold, and the repainted and engraved manifold cover plate.

#25 ·
Iginition - No ticking at all. I did notice a bit of sideways movement on the RRs on a couple of cylinders when I was doing a final torque check. It's probably less than 1mm, so I'm hoping it's normal! It is a different animal to drive now - I nearly got sideways around 2 roundabouts this morning because I was using the throttle setting I was used to. I am going to have to be more careful. I cannot believe the difference these have made to power/torque curve. I'm predicting torque is higher down low and just stays flat from there - will know in a few weeks when I get the dyno done.

BD - yep, headers should make a difference. Still tossing up between yours and a set of paccies, but yours are in the lead ATM based on price.

#26 ·
Mate thats all up to you,I'm not fussed as you know........

JC-XR8 said:
Iginition - No ticking at all. I did notice a bit of sideways movement on the RRs on a couple of cylinders when I was doing a final torque check. It's probably less than 1mm, so I'm hoping it's normal! It is a different animal to drive now - I nearly got sideways around 2 roundabouts this morning because I was using the throttle setting I was used to. I am going to have to be more careful. I cannot believe the difference these have made to power/torque curve. I'm predicting torque is higher down low and just stays flat from there - will know in a few weeks when I get the dyno done.

BD - yep, headers should make a difference. Still tossing up between yours and a set of paccies, but yours are in the lead ATM based on price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.