Runing Lean - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2003, 04:20   #1 (permalink)

Runing Lean

I need help, I have an EL XR 8 thats running lean(16.9) under full throttle. Its fine at crusing speed. It didn't show any fault codes on the diagnostics computer. Ford said it would would be an expensive trial and error process to fix the problem as it could be anything from the fuel pump to the ecu to the injectors.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to were to start looking or have had any similar problems.

Thanks for any assistance
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2003, 04:25   #2 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

Re: Runing Lean

take it for a drive with a fuel pressure gauge on it - watch what it does when you open the taps.

the fuel pressure should stay constant at a constant WOT, and should obviously be at or slightly above factory specs.

i cant believe ford are giving you the run-around, there are heaps of simple things you can do to check stuff, shouldnt be hard for even a third year to fix!

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:38   #3 (permalink)

A friend of mine had a feul gauge on it, and it seems to be running at the right pressure as per the Max Ellory manual that I have. Just a futher bit of imformation the fault codes that come up on the flashing smart lock light on the dash every now and then show a code 177, with is "System running lean".

BTW the service adviser at Ford said it would cost me $170 @ $90/per hour just to read the fault codes. It took a friend with a Snap On computer just 15 min to do the tests and give me the results.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:44   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

I would be very worried running around at 16.9. I blew my head gasket within a week of running 15.5:1. Have you done any mods to the engine or is it stock. If it is stock, start with the easy thing first. Main and in tank fuel filter, then I would be testing the fuel pressure and flow out of the pump to rule that out, followed by testing and cleaning the injectors.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:51   #5 (permalink)

The engine is stock except for K & N filter and cat back exhaust and electronic shifht kit.
I replaced the filters, leads plugs, dist cap and rotor as the car was running pretty bad, these didn't make a differance so I took it to a dyno and found it was running lean at high RPMs.
frl0173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 05:00   #6 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

One very common problem with V8's with aftermarket air filters is the oil gets into the MAF and coats the MAF wires causing it to read incorrectly. Unscrew the MAF electronics from the MAF body (you will need some torx fittings for the screws). Carefully clean the wires with carby cleaner before reassembling.

If it isn't the MAF, my guess would be the fuel pump. Get them to watch the fuel pressure under full throttle on the dyno. If the fuel pump is maxing out, the fuel pressure should bounce up and down. Also check for any major vaccuum leaks probably on the upper intank manifold.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 02:57   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys, I took the MAF sensor out and cleaned the wires. It's like driving a different car. BTW fuel pump seems to be OK.
Again thanks for the help.
frl0173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 00:39   #8 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Those interested in A/F might want to check this thread: A/F guages
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:48   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Ford said it would would be an expensive trial and error process to fix the problem as it could be anything from the fuel pump to the ecu to the injectors.
What a load of BS. EDXR8 picked up on the MAF, I was going to suggest the MAF (as soon as I read K&N), but the Ford blokes tell you a story like that.

Makes you wonder how many suckers out there pay far too much for their car repairs.
Old 12-09-2003, 15:42   #10 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by frl0173
Thanks for the help guys, I took the MAF sensor out and cleaned the wires. It's like driving a different car. BTW fuel pump seems to be OK.
Again thanks for the help.
Yeah my MAF stuffed up due to the KnN filter, Guys at auto place suggested to ditch the filter and stick with paper if i want my MAF to last.
I'll end up doing this as there not bloody cheap to replace. Standard ford paper filters are good enough
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech