second hand windsors - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2004, 01:43   #1 (permalink)

second hand windsors

hey just wondering ive been told and ive read that that the windsor blocks are only rated at 500hp, and ive been told that the older ones are stronger so what power will they take and how much different are they or isnt there any. also what they worth. lastly anyone seen any series 3 t3 motors around like from write offs or just sellin.

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2004, 04:01   #2 (permalink)

Re: second hand windsors

The 302 Windsor blocks will make 600bhp & 351 windsor will make around 700 to 750bhp.... This is only a rating and a guide and obviously it will depend on the rest of the parts used in the motor. As too the differences between the early style & late model there is a noticable difference. The main webs on the early style windsors are much thicker and so are the pan rails. The main webs can better accommodate the installation of four bolt main caps if you wanted to. The 351 windsor main caps are much thicker and beefier then the 302 caps.... If you are tracking down a block go for a 1974 or earlier block. You want a block with eaither on of these casting numbers

302 Windsors

C8OE-A
C8OE-B
C8TE-B
D1TZ-E
D1OE-AA
D4DE-AA

302 BOSS

C9ZE
C8FE
D0ZE-B

351 Windsors

C9OE-8
D2AE-BA
D4AE-DA

All the engines with these engine casting numbers are stronger then the late model blocks so if you are affter a strong factory block but don't want to spend the extra money on a SVO block go for any casting number that starts with C or D up to D4.
I8AHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 00:16   #3 (permalink)

thankz for that mate

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 23:37   #4 (permalink)

So is a Block with D1OE-6015AA a good block?
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:23   #5 (permalink)

sounds like any other 71 302 block to me...
Old 01-17-2004, 02:22   #6 (permalink)

Cool so its an early style block? Thats what i wanted to know. I dont know much about std block windsors. Late model early model stuff. So thats a 71 year block?
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 03:22   #7 (permalink)

yep, D1 is for 71...
Old 01-17-2004, 04:50   #8 (permalink)

The Mexican block is the best of the readily available (and affordable) blocks. I've used them for years in nitroused cars, which are very harsh on the bottom end.

I began using early windsor blocks, but had trouble with the thin decks. I've never had that problem the the Mexican blocks.

There are two main weaknesses with the windsor blocks. The decks, and the main webbing.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 06:25   #9 (permalink)

yes, mexican blocks are the ones to get, they are still affordable, if you can get one..
they have a casting number, C8AM 6015B, they were a service replacement block for
the econoline series of that era, tho some wouldve found there way into normal cars..
years ago, i pulled one out of an xw wagon..
Old 01-17-2004, 08:15   #10 (permalink)

The mexican blocks are easy to identify. Just look for a casting mark in the engine valley with something like Hcho En Mexico and a 75ZY-6015-AA or a simular casting number.

C=1960's, D=1970's E=1980's and the number that follows indicates the year

So maniac in your case as philstoy pointed out D1 is 1971 block.

As far as I know there was no special Windsor blocks. Blocks cast up to 1974 (D4 Casting prefix) have greater material thickness in crucial areas. After 1974 Ford engineers were reducing material to take the weight out of motors and to reduce manufacturing costs involved.

This is some of the information that I colected over the years and I hope some of you people might find it usefull as I did.

289HP block is very simular to the standard 289 block with the exception of slightly thicker cylinder walls and beefier main-bearing caps which were cast from high nodular iron. The motors have High Nodular Cranks. They also have a 5 bolt bellhousing pattern.
The casting numbers are:

C3OE-B
C4OE-B

289 Blocks manufactured between 1963 and 1964 have a 5-bolt bellhousing pattern and anything after 1965 has a 6 bolt bellhousing pattern.
The casting numbers are:

C3AE-N
C40E-C
C40E-F
C4AE
C4DE

Original 1969 302 BOSS engines with the C9ZE casting number had a sever cylinder wall cracking problem so Ford used a racing BOSS 302 blocks with the C8FE casting numbers. They have slightly thicker and ribbed cylinder walls. So avoid the C9ZE Boss blocks and if you come accross the C8FE block in good condition get it. The D0ZE block was the block that incorporated the fixes. The D1ZE is the service block for all Boss 302s and they can be identified by their casting numbers on the right cylinder-wall bank. The 302 BOSS motors came with Forged Steel Cranks & the 1969 cranks are cross-drilled to improve lubrication.

302 Blocks manufactured between 1973 and 1976 have a 8.229" deck height.(stock deck height is 8.206")
The casting numbers are:

C8TE-B
D1TZ-E
D1OE-AA
D4DE-AA - Blocks with this casting number also came with 8.206" deck height.

351 Blocks manufactured between 1969 and 1973 have a 9.480" deck height. After 1974 the deck height is 9.503"
The casting numbers are:

C9OE-8
D2AE-BA
D4AE-DA - Blocks with this casting number also came with 9.503" deck height.
I8AHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech