Set me straight on MAF and injector interaction. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2004, 16:59   #1 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Set me straight on MAF and injector interaction.

I've searched a little but have found nothing that entirely removes my confusion on this so here we go...

Iím soon receiving an inlet manifold, injectors, 70mm MAF and T/B all from an ED XR8 Sprint. Currently of course I have the stock 55mm(?) MAF, 19lb injectors and the 165kw EL V8 ECU. Now I hear that the ED Sprint gear has blue (that is 24lb) injectors and my question is this. If I install the larger MAF and the injectors to match from the Sprint, will my AFR be unaltered or will my computer now map air/fuel points incorrectly. I tend to think the calibration would be alright but Iím really just speculating.

Another thing Iím hazy on is how you can realise different injector pressures without alteration to the fuel pressure regulator. Are the injector ďsizesĒ purely a measure of maximum deliverable fuel pressure? If so will the installation of these 24lb injectors mean that I will still only be injecting at 19lb if I do not touch the fuel pressure reg? Can I wind up my current regulator by this much (I know they can be adjusted but this far?) Will I need to?

Thanks for your input.
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2004, 18:16   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: Set me straight on MAF and injector interaction.

The Sprint EEC is calibrated for 24lb injectors so you will be fine. The stock MAF and your new 70mm MAF are actually calibrated exactly the same, the difference is in the EE itself. If you didn't use the sprint EEC you would have to stick with 19lb injectors or get a recalibrated MAF like a C&L or GMS.

Fuel injector ratings show how much fuel the injector is capable of for a set fuel pressure. You won't have to change the regualtor or up the pressue. The stock regulator is not adjustable anyway, if you did need to up the pressure for some reason you would need to replace it with an adjustable unit.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 18:19   #3 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

so the easy answer is...

use the new bigger MAF and stick with my current ECU and current 19lb injectors
Old 06-10-2004, 18:36   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Gn|T|0n
so the easy answer is...

use the new bigger MAF and stick with my current ECU and current 19lb injectors
Yeah. Check AF ratios on a dyno and if you are leaning out up high, install an adjustable fuel ressure regulator and you will be fine. Otherwise install the MAF, 24lb injectors and the Sprint EEC.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 18:38   #5 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Thanks EDXR8, you're a wealth of knowledge.
Old 06-10-2004, 20:01   #6 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I had to change my electronics but apparently they are all the same over e-series. (tried to use a GT/Sprint maf) So when i get the Sprint ECU we will try it with the setup I have now and if that doesnt work then I'll try the orginal electronics that were on the GT maf.
Old 06-10-2004, 21:02   #7 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

So why did you need to change the electronics then? Was the original one faulty?
Old 06-10-2004, 21:28   #8 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

possibly although it was a brand new unit.
Old 06-10-2004, 22:05   #9 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
Fuel injector ratings show how much fuel the injector is capable of for a set fuel pressure. You won't have to change the regualtor or up the pressue. The stock regulator is not adjustable anyway, if you did need to up the pressure for some reason you would need to replace it with an adjustable unit.
So the pound rating of an injector is not characteristic of pressure (pounds per square inch) but characteristic of the mass of fuel deliverable over time (pounds per [time unit]) ?
Old 06-11-2004, 01:53   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
The Sprint EEC is calibrated for 24lb injectors so you will be fine. The stock MAF and your new 70mm MAF are actually calibrated exactly the same, the difference is in the EE itself. If you didn't use the sprint EEC you would have to stick with 19lb injectors or get a recalibrated MAF like a C&L or GMS.

i think that you have you'r facts mixed up, if you want to change the maf, put the injectors in with it, as they are matched, the maf will already be callibrated to run with those injectors, as far as the eec goes the sprint eec has more spark advance, but the std eec will do the job perfectly,as the e7's dont flow as good as the gt40's you wont need as much spark, leaving the 19lb's in would most likely give you a lean condition
eb2flyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech