Setting the timing on a EF XR8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2004, 23:57   #1 (permalink)

Setting the timing on a EF XR8

Just need a bit of info on setting the timing on my EF XR8, I've marked TDC on the harmonic balancer but I am not sure where that needs to line up with the timing plate which bolts to the block (there is a cut out section followed by a radius section). Also when setting the timing (this is with a timing light) what does it need to be set at (eg 10 deg BTDC).
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2004, 05:25   #2 (permalink)
i'll never grow up

Re: Setting the timing on a EF XR8

You Set A Static Timing.. There Is A Mark On The Distributor That Should Line Up To A Mark On The Block.. This Should Be 26* Btdc.
Which Is 10*btdc As The Eec Adds 16* Of Timing, And Will Adjust According To A Number Of Signals It Recieves From Sensors.
So There Basically Is No Adjustment Unless You Pull The Spout Connector (which Is A Circuit Breaking Plug Located In Ignition Harness) And Remove The Eec's Ability To Adjust Timing Which Will Allow You To Lock Down The Timing Depending On Your Mods To A Good Known Point.. It Will Affect Nothing But You Will Prob Find An Increase In Hp.. I Gained 12rwhp By Pulling The Spout And Leaving It Out And Locking The Dissy At 26*. It Also Stopped A Small Case Of Pinging At Wot.
You Prob Notice With A Timing Light On It At The Moment The Timing Marker Is Jumping All Over The Place.
If You Want To Read More About Pulling The Spout Connector Look At Coral.net And Do A Search For The Word "spout" There Is Articles Everywhere On It.
95 Mustang GT 302: VQ-S2 Vortech - Edelbrock Intake - BBK 70mm TB - UPR Boostpipe - TwEECer - Walbro 255 & T-Rex fuel pump - MSD btm - Crane HI-6 - 36# injectors - Pro-m 80mm MAF - Kirban FPR - FMS 9mm leads - FMS 3.73 Gears - Transgo Shift kit - B&M cooler - Saleen guage pod, FMS Boost and FP guages - R/H drive - Eibach Springs - Holley headers, http://www.meales.com.au
gtcoupe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 05:27   #3 (permalink)
i'll never grow up

Sorry As Re The Marker.. The Flat Side On The Left Hand Side Of The Engine Is The Marker Side
95 Mustang GT 302: VQ-S2 Vortech - Edelbrock Intake - BBK 70mm TB - UPR Boostpipe - TwEECer - Walbro 255 & T-Rex fuel pump - MSD btm - Crane HI-6 - 36# injectors - Pro-m 80mm MAF - Kirban FPR - FMS 9mm leads - FMS 3.73 Gears - Transgo Shift kit - B&M cooler - Saleen guage pod, FMS Boost and FP guages - R/H drive - Eibach Springs - Holley headers, http://www.meales.com.au
gtcoupe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 22:23   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Don't you bridge out two connectors on the service port connector nr booster ???It sets timing to static so your able to time engine...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 23:48   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, all very helpful
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:54   #6 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Hmm I have never heard of pulling the 'spout' connector out. The way Australian 5.0's are usually done is how EBXR8240 said, bridging the terminals of the diagnostic plug puts the engine into diagnostic mode, then you set the timing from there.
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:05   #7 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Yeah the spout out method is for US dissys. On the EF you need to bridge out the top and bottom left hand pins on the diagnostic connector (the white connector located under the fuse panel inside the cabin). Then start up the engine and in a sec or two the engine will rev up around 2000rpm, thats when you set the base timing. Stock settings are 30 degrees BTDC.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:29   #8 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Is 26 degrees BTDC ok? When I last checked the timing it was at 26 degrees BTDC and I wasnt sure what was standard or not and left it at that as the engine seems to be running fine, the motor is completely stock tho and I'm running optimax as it seems I'm getting better economy out of it than ULP. Should I set it to 30 degrees?
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:03   #9 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

try it at 30 ed
Old 11-09-2004, 04:06   #10 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Yes I just woke up and realised it's retarded, much like my mind atm. I'll give it a go at 30 at lunch time tomorrow
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech