Solving Windsor Oil Surge... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2004, 17:24   #1 (permalink)

Solving Windsor Oil Surge...

I run a 5.0 windsor motor in an EL XR8 gravel rally car. The motor is stock apart from cam/computer/exhaust/air filter etc.

On longer corners the oil pressure drops, sometimes to the point where the oil light comes on for a short period. I don't appear to have sustained any damage thus far from these short period of low pressure - I can't always back off when it happens - but am concerned that I may in the future.

The bottom of the sump is pushed up approximately 15mm from touching the sumpguard periodically on heavy landings. I use Shell Helix Synthetic oil (in the silver bottle).

Does anyone have any experience with preventing oil surge in the sump of Windsor motors? I know that a dry sump system would fix it, but I really want to avoid that, and I'm not sure that I am permitted under CAMS regulations.

Any advice/assistance appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian...
rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2004, 00:13   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Solving Windsor Oil Surge...

Yep run more oil..But that dent in sump is not good, it maybe restricting oil on pickup..
Fit a 7 Ltr hi- energy sump..For around $300 you get crank scraper and windage tray plus extra capacity .They can be replaced while engine's in car....Though some sump bolts replaced with studs makes it heaps easier...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 00:15   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

A better sump guard as well?
R.I.P Possum...
Old 11-12-2004, 20:08   #4 (permalink)
No longer around

off topic but got any pics of this car? sounds kewl!
if yes ill pm you my email addy...
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 03:25   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
A better sump guard as well?
There's nothing wrong with the sumpguard. It bolts to the K-frame, which bends over time (not much time, either). The engine mounts also have a fair bit of slop in them (as standard). I strengthen the K-frame, but there's only so much you can do. I could solidly mount the engine, but the shock loads to the chassis would have it breaking in half. We could make the front suspension a lot stiffer so we don't bottom out, but that would bugger up the handling. We could go slower over the jumps, but I'm trying to stay in front of as many Lancers and WRXs as possible.

I've spoken to Hi-energy regarding a sump pan and (they told me) they are going to get back to me this week. I can't run a sump with the wings for extra oil capacity as the regulations don't allow it.

It's all a compromise between a level of wear and tear I (and my wallet) can accept against maintaining sufficient speed over the ground. I go through at least one K-frame every year (sometimes several). Ditto for the diff housing, and there are loads of other parts regularly replaced or rebuilt (for example, the gearbox gets done 3-5 times a year).

Having said all that, I am looking at slightly stiffer springs in the front for next year and more initial bump in the front shocks, primarily to reduce the amount of bottoming out that happens at the front end.

I have loads of photos - PM your email address and I will send a selection through.

cheerabigears!
rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 05:41   #6 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Are you allowed to run an oil pan with internal baffling/trap doors if its stock capacity?
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 05:44   #7 (permalink)
No longer around

PM sent rally
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 06:05   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Windage tray and crank scrapper then in std sump..If engine has servived this long thats hopefully all you need. I'd run oil slightly over full as some oil is going to be held in rocker covers etc while turning...
Shocks in rally cars need to be realy tuff..
I guess alloy brace across front of block water pump etc and fitting mounts on them to chassis rail is out of the question as well??
R.I.P Possum...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech