Someone might be able to answer this - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2002, 07:11   #1 (permalink)

Someone might be able to answer this

A question about 302 and 351 engines

http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...threadid=19448
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2002, 09:01   #2 (permalink)

re

As far as I know you can't tell a 351 clevland apart from 302 because they have the same block but use different crank, rods, pistons & the 302's have small chamber heads. As for the windsors the 302 windsor has a deck height of 8.206 in & 351 windsor has deck heighet of 9.506 in. This makes the 351 wider and taller then the 302 windsor. The only way to tell the difference between the two is to measure the stroke. You have to pull one of the sparkplugs out (usualy number one) & turn the engine over by hand until the piston goes all the way up the bore & when you feel that it's trying to go down you stop & stick a piece of straight wire in the hole. You make sure that the piston is all the way up. You mark the spot on the wire & then you turn the engine over by hand and let the piston go all the way down untill you fill that the piston wants to go up again. You mark that on the wire as well & then you just mesure the difference between the two marks. This will roughly tell you how big is the stroke of the engine. The 351 should be 3.5 inches & the 302 should be 3 inches. The difference between the clevlands & windsors is the thermostat housing is bolted on the manifold on the Windsors & on the clevlands its bolted to the block. Clevlands have a cast iron factory intake manifold & windsors have an aloy factory intake manifold. I hope that helps.
I8AHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 15:37   #3 (permalink)

Yeah i reckon the guy might feel abit better now that he has some answers. Thankyou everyone, and I learnt something too
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 22:34   #4 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Mate..... For a seriously impressive read.... Go see if you can still buy "Street Machine Workshop Series #2" It was published in 1989 & has all the info a Revhead could ever want on tough 302's & 351's. Cleve's & Windsors..... I keep mine locked away with afew other goodies :op

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 01:08   #5 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

The blocks are different, the cleveland has a longer block. It has an extra lip out the front for the water pump. Also the head ends up flush with the front of the block on a windsor while the clevelands extra long block hangs forward just over an inch. The rockers are massively different in that the cleveland has big rockers that are canted (splayed) while the windsors rockers are all in line and a lot smaller.
Dreders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 03:52   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreders
The blocks are different, the cleveland has a longer block. It has an extra lip out the front for the water pump. Also the head ends up flush with the front of the block on a windsor while the clevelands extra long block hangs forward just over an inch. The rockers are massively different in that the cleveland has big rockers that are canted (splayed) while the windsors rockers are all in line and a lot smaller.
that's all good but he want's to know how he can tell it apart without pulling it apart
I8AHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 06:25   #7 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

The longer block is pretty obvious, if there is a 1 inch chunk of cast iron block behind the water pump then its a cleveland. You dont have to remove anything or even be that close to the motor to see that. If I had a scanner I could show you what I mean but you dont have to remove anything.
Removing the valve covers is the best for absolute rookies but it isnt even fool proof because some people put cleveland heads on windsor blocks.
Dreders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 08:15   #8 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Of course it also depends on what 351 and 302's we're talking about; there is a 351C, 351C Boss, 351W, 351M as well as the 302C and 302 Boss engines. Then we could start talking about Australian, US and Mexican blocks.
Old 06-22-2002, 15:57   #9 (permalink)
Cobra188

Dreders. you've missed the point of the thread ol' mate - just talking in circles - the thread was answered perfectly by I8AHSV some time ago.

cheers,

Jeff
Old 06-23-2002, 00:32   #10 (permalink)
Australian ED XR6 Member

Generally speaking the early australian clevo 302's were released with orange/redish painted valve colours, & the 351's were painted blue.
This is by no means conclusive as it is quite simple to change the colour of valve covers, or even the type of cover fitted.
only conclusive way is to check stroke length, either by measuring through sprkplug hole,or removing head(s), or removing sump.(not forgeting overboring etc)
Wulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech