someone who builds motors please help!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 16:40   #1 (permalink)
Randy Williams

someone who builds motors please help!!!!

I bought a 1969 351W from a shop because supposedly my 85 block was garbage. i was all excited because it was supposed to be stronger, blah blah blah and all the who ha! but then after getting it home and looking at it one day. (a week or two after i brought it home)i noticed there was a hole in it. if you look at the front of the motor, the hole is in the wall above where the camhole is (the hole would be covered up by the timing cover.) if that doesn't make sense...if you look into the hole, you can see into the lifter valley. the hole it'self is about the size of a dime, maybe slightly greater or smaller. my question is...can i still use the block? there is nothing else wrong that i know of, but i would greatly appreciate the help if someone knows.

1. if i can use it, should the small hole be patched (if that is possible, i don't want the damn thing to blow up on me)

2. if i can't use it....then what should i do to the guy that sold it to me?..haha
my fault for not paying attention i guess. but still sucks

if you guys want a pic..... then let me know. again, thanks for the help. this is my first build...and i'm kinda thinkin the guy at the the shop ripped me off because he knew that this was my first.
95RANGER351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2006, 23:03   #2 (permalink)

Re: someone who builds motors please help!!!!

get us a pic
302_supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:17   #3 (permalink)
blue66coupe

Don't worry the hole is supposed to be there (if it's the one I'm thinking of), unless it's a new one... It allows extra oil from the valley to drain down the front, I usually deburr them a little so it allows oil to get onto the timing chain easily.
Old 11-26-2006, 21:49   #4 (permalink)
Randy Williams

hopefully you're right buddy. i'll post a pic so you know exactly what i'm talking about. i just don't wanna have to buy another block. thanks for the info

~Doc~
Old 11-26-2006, 22:03   #5 (permalink)
Randy Williams

i'll post a pic, so you can see exactly what it is. i just got a new camera, so i'll post it 2 morrow night.

i hope your right...that would rock!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 02:54   #6 (permalink)
blue66coupe

No pics yet?
Old 12-08-2006, 21:28   #7 (permalink)
Randy Williams

whoa....i forgot all about this. i was having problems with getting my pics on here because they were too big. i found a site anyone can view them on though. here's the links

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/171/hpim0019dq9.jpg

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3350/hpim0020mv8.jpg

it's the little hole to the top left of the cam cylinder, and in the second pic it's the hole just above where the first lifter goes

my dad said if it is a problem it might be possible to have someone cast weld it or something. i'm guessing that would be expensive even though the hole is small. hopefully it will be alright....thanks guys i appreciate it
Old 12-09-2006, 22:07   #8 (permalink)

Hey dude, yes hole is def supposed to be there, my 69 block has the exact same thing. Regards
maccasbigZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:05   #9 (permalink)
Randy Williams

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are my savor my friend...I owe you one. I've been questioning that since I bought the block. Just the shape of it (kinda ridgy) had me scared
Old 12-10-2006, 21:57   #10 (permalink)

yeah my spare c9 block has that hole too,and my assembled 69-351w is the same,just abit of advice -if you have the block hot tanked, be sure to check all the head bolt threads before assembly,i had to helicoil three of my threads in the block,these things are getting old and once all the old rust and shit was stripped off my block there wasnt much left of those three head bolt hole threads,ill be helicoiling all the head bolt hole threads in my next build,before the engine is in the car this time...
steharz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech