Squealing distributor? 302W - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2006, 16:26   #1 (permalink)

Squealing distributor? 302W

I have a problem I hope someone can help me with. I'm working on a pair of old marine engines based on 302W blocks (1970 vintage). Both run great, but one makes an intermittent high pitched squeal that seems to be coming from the distributor (Autolite distributor). It only squeals when revved up (above 1500 rpm) and most often when it's idling down from being revved up. When I pull the distributor there appears to be very little oil on the shaft/gear and very little oil in the block around the cam.

Is it possible that an oil passage is blocked? The engines were stored for a long time, but oil pressure is good and the oil is circulating. If it's a blocked passage do you have any suggestions (other than stripping the block)?

Is there a bearing/bushing in the distributor that might be going bad?

Anyone else have anything like this going on?

I know that these engines aren't in a Ford car, but I drive a '97 F250 and my wife has a 2005 Lincoln Navigator.

Cheers and thanks for your help,
Kelly McCoy
jkmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2006, 23:29   #2 (permalink)

Re: Squealing distributor? 302W

Is it electronic or points?
Old 10-31-2006, 05:43   #3 (permalink)

Re: Squealing distributor? 302W

Howdy:
The Distributor shaft does in fact have a couple of wear points, know that (at least some) rebuilders install bushings to restore proper fit on high mileage units, but have not heard a distributor squeal (doesn't mean it couldn't happen, though ). Are you sure it isn't a belt for the alternator or possiblly power steering, if so equipped, squealing?
Just a thought; have run into that repeatedly over the years.
cowboy33713
cowboy33713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech