Starter Binding Problem On W351 Motor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2004, 12:46   #1 (permalink)

Question Starter Binding Problem On W351 Motor

After building motor, used a 164 tooth flywheel and the starter is binding.
Used a bell housing with the casting numbers of E2AP7976CA.
The starter after initial install will start engine and then binds on the next starting attempt. What should be checked ?
Darren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2004, 17:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: Starter Binding Problem On W351 Motor

Possibly a long automatic starter being used on a manual - without the manual spacer plate?
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 13:00   #3 (permalink)

Question Re: Starter Binding Problem On W351 Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer
Possibly a long automatic starter being used on a manual - without the manual spacer plate?
ok, is the crankshaft able to be walking because another has told me that if it is walking it could be the reasons for the problems i am experiencing. Please explain Crank Walking if it is at all possible in my problems. Thank You!
Old 11-22-2004, 13:04   #4 (permalink)

I do have a spacer plate between transmission and block. Car wants to make a few cranks, sometimes may start but starter stays engaged. Because the next time you go to start the engine the bendex is in the flywheel. Have to loosen the starter bolts to diseengage bendex. What are My problems.
Old 11-25-2004, 18:56   #5 (permalink)

still having starter and flywheel problems with a automatic bellhouse number e2ap-7976-ca.the bendix stays engaged in flywheel. THE YEAR OF BH 1982-1986.The bh motor size is 232v6-38 or255v8-42.Please tell me what cars these came in and what could be my problem is.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:04   #6 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Darren1]still having starter and flywheel problems with a automatic bellhouse number e2ap-7976-ca.the bendix stays engaged in flywheel. THE YEAR OF BH 1982-1986.The bh motor size is 232v6-38 or255v8-42.Please tell me what cars these came in and what could be my problem. The bell housing is a c5 and it calls for a 164 tooth count. The starter is grinding and the bendex is staying in the fly wheel.Isthe starter to close or to far from flywheel or what is my problem.This problem has been going on and nobody can help me with this problem. Some body please help me before i give up.
Old 12-02-2004, 21:26   #7 (permalink)
WHATS THAT NOISE?

[QUOTE=Darren1]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren1
still having starter and flywheel problems with a automatic bellhouse number e2ap-7976-ca.the bendix stays engaged in flywheel. THE YEAR OF BH 1982-1986.The bh motor size is 232v6-38 or255v8-42.Please tell me what cars these came in and what could be my problem. The bell housing is a c5 and it calls for a 164 tooth count. The starter is grinding and the bendex is staying in the fly wheel.Isthe starter to close or to far from flywheel or what is my problem.This problem has been going on and nobody can help me with this problem. Some body please help me before i give up.
i had a simular problem once years ago with an old valiant i had and cured it by undoin the starter and filing the bottom hole into a slight oval shape and reinstall the starter with the top bolt first then twisting the starter away from the bellhousin and instaling the bottom bolt then tighten the top bolt while still holding the starter away from the bellhousing and then doin the same with the bottom bolt...good luck i hope this helps...
Old 12-03-2004, 03:22   #8 (permalink)
slikxb

I thought the spacer plate was used for manuals g/boxes only. In auto equipped cars the starter motor bolts directly to the bellhousing.
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 18:47   #9 (permalink)
5.0 ED Wagon

The next time that you remove the starter, check out the condition of the gears. Mainly look at where the bendix meshes with the ring gear and look at the actual sides of the little teeth. It sounds to be like a major mis-alignment issue or if it's possible to do so, wrong amount of teeth on the bendix for the ring gear. When you crank the starter does it make a strange noise like the gears are pushing into each other, or the starter is working overtime just to rotate the crank?
Old 12-04-2004, 17:51   #10 (permalink)
WHATS THAT NOISE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz
I thought the spacer plate was used for manuals g/boxes only. In auto equipped cars the starter motor bolts directly to the bellhousing.
i have the spacer plate behind my motor and im runnin an auto??and have no probs??!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech