Ford Forums banner

Stroke or do up EB 5 litre

6K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  XR8fella 
#1 ·
Hello all, i have searched the windsor tech, and couldnt really find the answers, so i just thought i ask these again.
my mate has a stock 5 speed EB XR8 with 200'000km on the clock.
he's got 4k to throw at it now.
what would be the best way to get the most power out of the 5 litre ?
he is thinking of getting a eagle 347 stroker kit. What work to the block is needed to have the stroker fitted ? any machining needed to the block ?
or is he better off just leaving it as 5 litre and get better heads ?
someone else did mention him getting a F series 351W, will that fit in a EB ?
any recommendations for his budget would be great, thanks.
Luke

#3 ·
Yeah the block generally needs machining to fit the stroker kit, to give bore to rod clearance. $4k really isn't going to come close to building a reliable stroker engine, you may get away with a very basic stroker but IMO tell him to keep saving and do it properly in one hit, or if he wants to do something now throw on some decent heads and an intake and then go stroker later. The 351w can fit but takes a lot of work and also a lot of money.

As EX COP said, I would, and just have gone supercharged after researching both options.

#8 ·
To be honest, stroking a motor with E7 heads and a HO manifold would be a major pain. It has allready been proven that the heads are already asthmatic on a 302 - the extra 45 cubes just increses the problem substantially.
For a first step I would look at cam, rollerrockers, bigger MAF, K&N or BMC filter and an AU snorkle. Removing the clutch fan and fitting a Batterns module to control the Ef/El thermo's is also a good mod.
From there - the heads and intake have to go to make any serious power. We got a good price on a TrickFlow kit (complete street heads, rollerrockers, headbolts, stage 1 cam, timing chain, gaskets, pushrods and Street heat intake) for around $4400 landed. These are good for 350Hp 370ft/lb tq with the right gear around it.
Shane

#9 ·
Imho I wouldn't spend too much on rotating assembly..Not much point in having rotating assembly twice as strong as block...
Heads, inlet, maf, 1.7 r.rockers and throttle body first...
As said.....

#11 ·
Yes unless you intend to blow it cast crank, eagle rods, and 1/2 decent pistons...
Keep in mind my rotating assembly std took 270 rwkw...And still is in one peace...

#14 ·
From what I have seen with the American forums - the GT40 is close to the ultimate with the Cobra and AU/Explorer manifold coming in close behind for cars with stockish parts (ie E7/GT40/GT40P heads - stock stroke - no power adders) They seem to have more torque than the aftermarket manifolds and for $ value can't really be beaten. Only when you have better flowing heads do you really need to step up to a better manifold. The HO manifold is good for an every day car but where performance and revs are concerned - they tend to get athsmatic above 4000rpm and really fall over by 5000. My FBT with it's GT40P head/Explorer combination feels less torque down low but pulls like a freight train after 4000rpm.
Shane

#15 ·
MrLandau said:
To be honest, stroking a motor with E7 heads and a HO manifold would be a major pain. It has allready been proven that the heads are already asthmatic on a 302 - the extra 45 cubes just increses the problem substantially.
For a first step I would look at cam, rollerrockers, bigger MAF, K&N or BMC filter and an AU snorkle. Removing the clutch fan and fitting a Batterns module to control the Ef/El thermo's is also a good mod.
From there - the heads and intake have to go to make any serious power. We got a good price on a TrickFlow kit (complete street heads, rollerrockers, headbolts, stage 1 cam, timing chain, gaskets, pushrods and Street heat intake) for around $4400 landed. These are good for 350Hp 370ft/lb tq with the right gear around it.
Shane
Is there anyway you can kinda 'mix & match' some parts from that trickflow kit to give it a 'lil more balls than 350hp? Like for example a bigger cam or anything else? Cos what does that equate to at the rear wheels anyway, about 200ish rwkw or so?

Cheers.

#16 ·
Bassfreak said:
Is there anyway you can kinda 'mix & match' some parts from that trickflow kit to give it a 'lil more balls than 350hp? Like for example a bigger cam or anything else? Cos what does that equate to at the rear wheels anyway, about 200ish rwkw or so?

Cheers.
Yeah thats 200-220rwkw roughly, and thats all you are really going to get from a streetable 5L. If you want more, you are going to have to either go for a bigger cam and loose idle quality and low-midrange power or you have to stroke it.

#17 ·
EDXR8 said:
Yeah thats 200-220rwkw roughly, and thats all you are really going to get from a streetable 5L. If you want more, you are going to have to either go for a bigger cam and loose idle quality and low-midrange power or you have to stroke it.
Yeah good point dude. I guess thats why its a 'kit' - Matched components.
Maybe just to that...... and supercharge it later on down the track! :evil:

..but i also LOVE that slightly lumpy idle with bigger cams.. bugger..
will that trickflow cam make the idle at least a little more lumpy?

Cheers.

#19 ·
EDXR8 said:
Yes the Trickflow cam sounds really aggressive, thats partly why they are so popular in the US.
Good stuff mate!
You've made up my mind! ..Power + a lumpy/aggressive sounding cam! Love it!

Unless i go a slightly bigger cam & stick 3.9s in the diff??? Would that help a bigger cam down low or wont it make any difference? Ive no idea hence the reason why i asking lol!

Or in you opinion, should i just stick with the cam in the kit?

Thanks again! :hy:

#20 ·
They do make a slightly higher HP kit that uses the TrackHeat intake rather than the SteetHeat - Makes 360HP 350Ft/lb TQ
You can build it with the stage 2 cam rather than the stage 1 that comes with the kit - but the trade off is torque. Torque accellerates you - not HP(unless you have 5.14's in your car)
Shane

#21 ·
MrLandau said:
They do make a slightly higher HP kit that uses the TrackHeat intake rather than the SteetHeat - Makes 360HP 350Ft/lb TQ
Shane
Good stuff.
I think i'll just stick with the TrackHeat kit then...
The problem is now... Putting it all in!?! lol..
If im mechanically minded, do you think i will be ableto install that kit myself? (Ive rebuilt my old XF 250xflow, not the same i know, but i still done it :) )

And also, what book woult be a good guide to follow for the installation of the kit? Ive got an elxr8.

Cheers.

By the way Shane, I still havent installed the Ford Racind pulleys i bought off you a while ago! lol, i know.. im a slacko! Think ill just wait and do EVERYTHING at once! :whatever:

#25 ·
Victor Jnrs are a pretty serious head for a 302 that will still be limited to 6250 - you put the on 7500+ motors or 347 strokers. The port sizes are just too big for a standard 302 with stock compression. He needs to be looking at the 165 - 170cc intake ports and matching that to a GT40/Cobra/AU/Explorer manifold - or the trickflow twisted wedge heads and streetheat manifold. The GT40X alloy heads aren't too bad for the price but these Jegs/Kaase cylinder heads look great for the price http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=168620&prmenbr=361 . I have AFR 185's for mine (347 stroker) but another friend has had great results with them on her 302. The only problem with the AFR's is that you won't get much change from $3000
Shane

#26 ·
thanks for that shane, those Jegs heads dont look too bad. Any experiences with them ?
yeah my mate spoke to high perf world today about the heads they featured in that upgrading windsor article in ford performance mag last year. he was quoted $2800 for complete 165cc AFR heads plus $600 for 1.6 rockers. or $2200 for trickflows similar spec plus $500 for rockers. would there be much advantage in the AFR's do you think ?
or should he go for the cheaper and sink the cash into a intake manifold ?

sorry if these posts are long and unco sounding, i am asking for him, and kinda asking for me, as i am gonna get some heads for me AU soon.

regards

Luke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.