stroker kits - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2003, 06:58   #1 (permalink)

stroker kits

hi fellas me again got some more questions first it was mentioned that to get a true 347 stroker the block needs to be bored .030 correct me if im wrong and i was just wondering what this would cost to do and also the vpw stroker kits get me a little confused theres about 5 or 6 different kits from them which one would i need. I think some may come with a block but im unsure so point me towards the ligh please. Any extra help reguarding this area is greatly appreciated. Also anyone who has fitted a stroker kit to a stock motor could you give us the details like kw's and torque. And i got sent an article from ebxr showing that some yankie mob who put together a kit got 357hp or 267kw from it does this sound right or not.it had trick flow twisted wedge heads a craneretro fit roller rockers.

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"

Last edited by XRQTOR; 08-09-2003 at 07:36.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2003, 10:51   #2 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Re: stroker kits

Why does it have to be a true 347??

They bore the cylinders out .030 I think to get any marks and to hone the cylinder walls.

The only kits I found on VPW were all complete motors. You don't need a complete motor, just the machining done to your block.
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 18:22   #3 (permalink)
NOS + Boost = Fun

To get a true 347ci, you will need to bore the block 30 thou. But you do not have to if you want to.
All the kits on the VPW web site come with 30thou over pistons, so to use the std kit, you will need to bore. I am sure they can give you different pistons for what you want to do.
As for what kit is what, best bet is to call them. They are a nice bunch of guys, with a lot of knowledge. Tell them what you want to achieve, and they will tell you the best kit to run. They will not try and sell you something you dont need.
Also, you will need to have your block notched to clear the rods with your stroker crank. They can do this when boring and honing your block.

As Aaron said, they do bore the block to get any marks out from the previuos pistons, but you could probably get away with 20thou bore, depending on condition of your block.

Here are some figures.

Bore Stroke Cubes.
4.000" 3.000" 301.6 Std engine.
4.000" 3.400" 341.8 Stroker Crank
4.010" 3.400" 343.5 Stroker + 10thou bore
4.020" 3.400" 345.2 Stroker + 20thou bore
4.030" 3.400" 347.0 Stroker + 30thou bore
4.040" 3.400" 348.7 Stroker + 40thou bore

Sorry if you all already knew this, just thought some might benefit.
(I'll work it out one day)
Hilux Diff - 4.1 Detroit Locker
BlownV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 21:29   #4 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

I considered doing this. I contacted a Ford Enhancer, He wanted $7000+ just to fit the stroker (inc machining). Not including cam, heads, etc.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 21:53   #5 (permalink)
NOS + Boost = Fun

Put he kit in yourself.
$2k for the kit.
$250 to get the block bored, honed, and notched for the rods.
Get a torque wrench, ring compressor, and some plastigraph, plus your normal hand tools, take you a weekend.

Although i will admit that most people dont have engine cranes and engine stands in their garages.
But it is easy. :-)
Old 08-12-2003, 22:07   #6 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Re: Re: stroker kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Put he kit in yourself.
$2k for the kit.
$250 to get the block bored, honed, and notched for the rods.
Get a torque wrench, ring compressor, and some plastigraph, plus your normal hand tools, take you a weekend.

Although i will admit that most people dont have engine cranes and engine stands in their garages.
But it is easy. :-)
I have the tools. What brand kit for $2k? I was wanting SCAT. Is the notching hard?? Obviously I can't do it but will any engine machinest do it?
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 23:12   #7 (permalink)
NOS + Boost = Fun

VPW have kits starting from $2k, and go up to $3.5K. The kit you buy will depend on what you want to do with your engine. If your not reving it past 7000rpm, not using NOS, and your not goint to add more than 10P.S.I., the $2K kit will be fine.
The SCAT kits you can buy are more expensive and you do not get as much for your dollar as you do in the VPW kit. The only thing they dont give you for the bottom end is cam, timing chain, and sump. All else is in the kit.
As for notching, not hard, any machinest should be able to do it. Just make sure you do a dummy assembly of the bottom end and check your clearances. Nothing worse than putting it together, and then slapping a rod on the block.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:34   #8 (permalink)
it's all good fun

blown v8 you have done the 347 route

which crank and rods did you use ? was it possible to still get it internally balanced?
what pistons did you use and what compression ratio did you end up with ?
also when you did yours did you get the block line honed or do 302w blocks hold true in the mains ?

Thanks for your input
Developed and built by CVE
v8capri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 19:06   #9 (permalink)
NOS + Boost = Fun

i haven't started piecing my engine together yet, but i will be using an ace 5140 forged crank, and probe forged pistons. I am hoping to achieve about 8.5:1 comp ratio, but do not know what size dish piston until i get the block decked. If a can maintain a 30thou piston to deck clearance, then i can run a 15cc chamber in my piston to achieve this. It will all depend when i start to put it together.
As for the kit, they come pre balanced with the rods and pistons. I think you can even send them your flex plate, or clutch plate, or whatever your running with your trans to them, and they will balance the whole lot before they send it to you.
As for the block, i have not made my final decission on what to run. When i get it all tuned and running, i am hoping to achieve about 750+ HP at the fly, and i dont think the stb block will live up to that. I have heard of people putting main cap gurdles on the bottom end on a std block, and have not had a problem with them, and they have been running up around the 650 - 750 hp mark. So at this point i am a bit undecided. Because i am gunna run NOS as well, i think an svo block with the gurdle might be the best way.
Old 08-14-2003, 19:42   #10 (permalink)
Life in the fast lane!!

SVO block

SVO Block... wow big bucks.

I'm currently having a stroker put together in a M-6010-B50 sportsman block, a much cheaper option put still comes to around 2500.
One of these blocks with a girdle should have no problems handling the Hp you are wanting.
M-6010-B50 5.0l Block,Forged Scat crank,Forged H-beam rods,Forged Probe Pistons,Crank Girdle,Custom oil pan,T3 Ported heads,Isky Valve springs,83mm billet T/B,TrickFlow inlet,Custom cam,Di fillipo extractors,3" system,EL Elec fans,3 core rad,T3 MAF/airfilter,Unichip,T56,2 pce tailshaft,4.11 LSD,DBA rotors.
http://www.fordgallery.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=13136&thumb=1
FUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech