Ford Forums banner

Stroker opinions - 330 vs 347

10K views 56 replies 18 participants last post by  347 
#1 ·
Time for me to start dreaming again - have been browsing the SVO catalogue (always a dangerous move!) and have found myself thinking about stroker kits. Some of you guys are running them, and I would love to hear about your experiences and opinions on them. I'm tending towards the 330ci at the moment, but I'd love to hear what you all would do!

I'd prefer to keep as much of my current setup as possible for money reasons, and at the moment the combo is something like this :

* Dual 2.5" exhaust with Genie 1 5/8" primaries
* GT40 upper + phenolic spacer
* FMS 65mm TB
* AU2 70mm MAF
* 24lb injectors
* EL GT ecu

#3 · (Edited)
I'd go for a 347ci, you'll have more torque and it'll either make more power or it'll make the same power at less revs. The 331 is possibly better if you want to remove the factory limiter and really rev it to the moon, but then you wouldn't be doing that with the stock block anyhow.

Do you like bonnet bulges? How about a 408ci stroker based on a 351W :p

Sounds like you better upgrade those E7 heads hey!

#4 ·
330 for better rod angles/ oil control etc, compression.."BUT" then the TE50's engines went o/k, but they had plenty of development behind them...Another thought unless you have GOOD heads the extra capacity may not be taken advantage of...Power just doesn't come from stroking !!!

#6 ·
347 said:
347 is the way to go

But if you want it to rev and be reliable,

"bring your money with you" !
------------------------------------------------
How true !!!!

#7 ·
Yes I forgot to mention the heads - considering I'd be wanting to keep my Ford intake stuff, I guess I'd be restricted to either ported 40p's or perhaps if I threw myself into debt, some nice X's or Y's... but yes the standard heads would simply have to go.

What would be everyones choice in cam, if we assumed I took the cheaper alternative of ported 40p's for heads?

#12 ·
I like the Crane 2030 over E303[110 lob sep] as the the 2030 has wider lobe sep [112].The TFS -51402000 with 221/225 @50 .499/.510 with lob sep 112* is very streetable as well...
With ported heads TFS-51402001 with 224/232 with 557/566 valve lift and 112* lob sep...Plenty of heavy breathing lift there.. p/v clearance needs checking as in all cases...Wider lob seperation generally gives you a wider power band...

#14 ·
It really depends on the kit you buy XR8 Lamah, but I thin they are some where in the ball park of 2K!!! And then you have fitting.

#15 ·
347 said:
How hard do you want to rev it?
Well I'd really like a few more revs than I've got at the moment... a cutout around 6500rpm would be ideal :AAHHH:

Ok so if I was aiming for this kind of setup, it would be more of a top end cam would it not? Even with the new crank and heads, would I be worse off in the lower revs (<3500rpm) than I am now with my current setup, for torque? I'm guessing it would be a peakier delivery and probably not as punchy down low, but what are you guys thoughts?

This is the current state of things - I'm really happy with the low-mid range torque delivery, but she really badly needs some top end and more revs!

#16 ·
Throw a charger at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That way you can take it to your next car. And with that currunt setup you should be able to get 250RWKW plus.

A friend of mine has an AUII XR8 (200) and with just an exhaust and charger gets 230-245 RWKW. So yours should do better, as mine did 138 rwkw, so you could work on a 100 rwkw gain.

#18 ·
svo347 said:
Go the 347. I havent had any problems & have done 70thou (Very Hard) K's and it still runs perfectly..
I got most of my gear through Probe Industries in the US.
321 rw/hp or 240 kw
I also have a 347, and would be interested to know what you have done to get 240RWKW

#19 ·
ebxr8240 said:
I like the Crane 2030 over E303[110 lob sep] as the the 2030 has wider lobe sep [112].The TFS -51402000 with 221/225 @50 .499/.510 with lob sep 112* is very streetable as well...
With ported heads TFS-51402001 with 224/232 with 557/566 valve lift and 112* lob sep...Plenty of heavy breathing lift there.. p/v clearance needs checking as in all cases...Wider lob seperation generally gives you a wider power band...
I agree. Alphabet cams are old technology with less area under the curve.

The XE274HR and Trick Flow Stage 2 are very similar. I have a XE274HR and wish i'd gone bigger.

#21 ·
The 347 is a better option for road use as midrange torque is what you'll be using most.
As for strength, the TE50's are quite reliable, and make decent power/torque.

6500rpm is not lot for a well built motor and the 347 will be fine.
I'd only use a 330 if I was drag racing and it needed to be revved past 7500rpm.

Rick.

#22 ·
I agree with Soxx. I personally wouldnt want to rev an engine past 6000rpm. I reckon thats well and trully enough imo.

A 330 would be ideal, but then again if the 347 is cheaper to buy wouldnt that be the way to go? Or will the cost of the block machining to accomodate the 347 end up being the same in the end anyway?

#24 ·
If you are keeping Std inlet then the bigger stroke won't rev as it WON'T breath enough to supply the capacity.Another thought if its 347 with that much torque even 6k rpm is alot and feels much more compared to 5 Ltr.The roller cam system is heavy [esp lifters] and 6-6500 is at its max rpm ..When comparing to T3's remember they had fantastic induction system[inlet, t/b,maf etc]heads could have been better??. Imo theinlet is the BEST in all Ford line up...Rev's and 347's does not equall long term reliability either..imo...But ya don't always have to... Sorry 347..

#26 ·
Ahh I think quality parts come into this especially in clearance piston/ bore area etc. Probe and scat are quality pieces..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.