Ford Forums banner

Stroker Question

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
A quick question I am hoping some of you guys would know the answer to. I may have an opportunity to purchase a 347 stroker crank at a great price for my EF XR8. The guy who is selling it told me that I would not need anything else done to the engine. Is this true? Is it a matter of just having it installed and tuned? It just seems too easy, as I thought there maybe the need to change other things in the engine?

Cheers

Damian

#3 ·
You need more than the crank, you need the rods and pistons as well. Then the assembly needs to be balanced.

Ps
I just noticed you have an XR8. Most striker kits are 28 ounce so you will also need a new balancer and flywheel.

#4 ·
Racer said:
You need more than the crank, you need the rods and pistons as well. Then the assembly needs to be balanced.

Ps
I just noticed you have an XR8. Most striker kits are 28 ounce so you will also need a new balancer and flywheel.
No mate I have just had mine ballanced, they machine flywheel back to 28 ounce [or whatever] .. Std ballancer & flywheel...

#5 ·
Thanks heaps for your info, There are always people in know to help out here! It seems I will need to ask him a few more questions. Also is there any particular stroker set (remaining pistons, rods etc) that I need to purchase. Am I better of keeping to a particular brand for quailty sake, as I am not sure who makes the crank.

Cheers

#6 ·
ebxr8240 said:
No mate I have just had mine ballanced, they machine flywheel back to 28 ounce [or whatever] .. Std ballancer & flywheel...
I'd hate to see what your standard 50 ounce flywheel and balancer looks like. My lighter 28 ounce looks like swiss cheese!!!

Should funds permit, it's always a good thing to go for a steel flywheel and balancer in a performance application. It's also necessary for racing - should you feel so inclined.

Steel flywheels are also multi-drilled to suit a wide range of clutches - something that will come in very handy when it comes time to upgrade.

#7 ·
Na mate 1/2 the counter weight was ground down.Doesn't work too well the other way around...
Turbo motors don't rev as high as n/a.To get power atleast....
It already is set up for twin plate...

#8 ·
I'm also interested in stroking a 302W to 347. Can you buy whole kits, where from, how much, and what are the proven kit brands to go for? Also, is it even worth doing this mod? What work has to be done to the block/cylinder bores if any?

Cheers

#9 ·
Just do a search on the forums for strokers and you will find a wealth of info, other wise contact some like you local Herrods dealer or SVO people and they will help you out.

#10 ·
Where in NZ ?? Try Rare Spares they are in Chch..Eagle or Probe [U.S brand] are well known for their kits..Try www.vpw.com.au Victorian performance wharehouse...
may be www.protopline.com in Auckland...

#12 ·
Thanks for the info. I got onto Rarespares asking about Eagle and Probe kits. Still, is it worth spending the money on a kit for the horsepower gain? At the moment it seems to me that the main advantage would be that you'd be basically carrying out a recon, as you've got a new crank, rods, bearings, piston and rings.

I live in the Manawatu. I hear there is now a Rarespares in Palmerston North, but ChCh is still worth dealing with, as they are the main store, with a lot more parts and knowledge.

Cheers,

#13 ·
Better heads to make use of that extra capacity etc

Yes Pete Scatcranks its still in box in my spare room...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.