Supercharged 5.0 - Part 2 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2003, 04:41   #1 (permalink)
OFR #7

Supercharged 5.0 - Part 2

I am going to install a Vortech blower on my 5.0.

I have thought long and hard about whether I install the Vortech on my stock engine without modifying it's fabulous E7 heads (not), associated "HO" intake manifold (the HO may indeed stand for Handling Option as it certainly doesn't stand for High Output), the stock cam (which apparently is not that bad with 1.7 rockers and a blower), not to mention the awesome 60mm TB and have come to the decision that all the above must go.

I am looking for your comments on the following parts I have selected to bolt onto my 150K stock bottom end, after reading every damn post I can find on the subject many times over:

- AFR 165 heads (61cc)
- Edelbrock Performer inlet
- Crane 2031 cam and springs
- Street Terra 1.7 RR's
- SVO 65mm TB
- Powerbond Harmonic Balancer

Note that the Vortech kit comes with a 73mm MAF, 24# injectors, upgraded fuel delivery etc.

The above components have been selected to provide maximum low down torque (as I believe 10PSI of forced induction will take care of the mid to high end power) and prevent P/V clearance problems with the lift of the 2031.

Mick

APS Stage II = 267rwkw = 12.16@118.5mph on street tyres
Big Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2003, 05:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: Supercharged 5.0 - Part 2

Although the standard heads, manifold and throttle body are pretty average in terms of airflow, all flow rates go out the window when the engine comes onto boost.
351efiXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 05:20   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Yes the advantage of a blown engine is you don't have to improve heads etc.In your case just mild porting and better springs. An RPM inlet due to being blown won't loose any low down torque.24's are just marginal also I'd go either 30's / 36's you won't use any more fuel but will be safer.. An inline pump will be rqired also..IMO...Depends on how far you want to go and money..Above should be around 400 fwhp..

http://www.corral.net/forums/forumdi...s=&forumid=311
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...

Last edited by ebxr8240; 07-11-2003 at 05:24.
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 05:41   #4 (permalink)
OFR #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Yes the advantage of a blown engine is you don't have to improve heads etc.In your case just mild porting and better springs. An RPM inlet due to being blown won't loose any low down torque.24's are just marginal also I'd go either 30's / 36's you won't use any more fuel but will be safer.. An inline pump will be rqired also..IMO...Depends on how far you want to go and money..Above should be around 400 fwhp..
I agree that the 24's supplied in the CAPA kit are sus, 30's are definately on my adgenda. CAPA does provide an inline pump.

Regarding the heads, I am aware of a similar installation of a Vortech on a stock 5.0 which put out about 225rwkw which roughly equates to your 400fwhp... I guess the decision needs to be based on what sought of additional kw's (over the entire rev range) can be obtained from the AFR heads, given the $3K expense. You must have decide on the Trick Flow heads for a reason?

The manifold I was looking at is just the Performer NOT the RPM. I wouldn't have thought that this would have port matched to the E7's well without extensive work?

Old 07-11-2003, 06:25   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

The reasom I have TFS heads was I went ape sh!t N/A And I can tell you F/Induction IS the cheapest way to go in the long run,bang for buck!!.Like I said depends how far you want to go. Remember the block can only take 500fwhp with some abuse or some left for safety.. YES any aftermarket head has good valve gear or can be upgraded at not too much extra..The rpm has same bottom as performer but shorter runners. The advantage with Edelbrock is you can machine runners shorter inside plenum which gives you two advantages shorter runner for more high end and bigger plenum which is good for forced induction..AFR will give you more higher rpm and can run more compression. Use atleast a.r.p head bolts.. hth..
R.I.P Possum...
Old 07-12-2003, 18:43   #6 (permalink)

Take it from someone who has used a blower and a 5.0L and DO NOT do this unless you freshen up that 150000kms bottom end. Otherwise the experience will be short lived. Everything else looks OK, i'd also use the 30lb injectors also
redhotxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 04:41   #7 (permalink)
OFR #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotxr8
Take it from someone who has used a blower and a 5.0L and DO NOT do this unless you freshen up that 150000kms bottom end....
PPPlease tell me more about your 5.0L and the blower!!!

Mick

Old 07-14-2003, 03:28   #8 (permalink)

wat sorta dollars are we looking at at to get this sorta power (250rwkw)

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 03:46   #9 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Basically if you're tune is safe like 5-8* initial timming and have enough fuel so there's no detonation, you "should" be o/k.Fmu's keep away from go bigger injectors, maf to suit..imo...
Use bigger s/c pulley [lower boost] until set up right...
R.I.P Possum...
Old 07-14-2003, 05:14   #10 (permalink)
OFR #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Fmu's keep away from go bigger injectors, maf to suit..imo...
That seems to be the opinion in the Corral Forums, although I don't fully understand why??

Aren't you more likely to have idle problems if you go too large on the injectors?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech