TFI-IV problem on 302 EFI - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Âŧ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2003, 02:52   #1 (permalink)
vince

Question TFI-IV problem on 302 EFI

i didnīt really know wether i should put this into the windsor or the cleveland forum, so i just put it into here.

hopefully anyone can help
these problems occur on my 1988 lincoln town car with 302 EFI:

first i had rough idle, i changed the EGR, i changed the idle air bypass valve, sparks and cables are new, distributor cap and rotor are new, then i found out, that my upper intake manifold had a crack at the backside (so it could breathe false air only at the last cylinder), i mounted a new (used) upper intake manifold from another town car of the same year.

afterwards i set the timing with a light (did it all like it says in this pretty good site about motorcodes and stuff: http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html#TIMING )

my fan cover decal tells me i have to set the timing to 10 BTDC. i did so. and in the page it tells me that WITH spout again plugged in, it should be advanced about 20 degrees MORE, so the advance should be around 30 degrees. but on my car itīs around 20 degrees!!!

SHOULD THAT INDICATE, THAT MY TFI-IV-MODULE IS BROKEN??? i read an article that the used modules in all type of EFI-engines "have an inordinately high propensity for failure due to overheating". (read the whole article here: http://www.tfisettlement.com/notice.html )

the enine sometimes backfires (it made my aftermarket-air-filter explode!), it seems to be very hot, but stays in "normal" temparature areas. the temp sending unit is new and i will mount a new thermostat also the next days. also the engine sometimes when in normal operating temp (like after a 20mile drive), while waiting at traffic lights shuts off and isntīt able to get started again. but after unplugging the SPOUT-connector it starts!!!

DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2003, 04:55   #2 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Hi Vince,

About 20 degrees is about right, it does var according to conditions. You should see it constantly changing however. Try blipping the throttle while you've got the light on it and watch it move. It is possible you have a dodgy TFI module but a number of other things are possible also like a dodgy Hall effect pickup. Being an '88 I assume this is a Speed Density 5.0?
Have you read the fault codes?

Pete.
Old 06-09-2003, 23:58   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Pay to check your harmonic ballancer, the outside ring may have shifted putting your timming out ???
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 14:00   #4 (permalink)
vince

Question

sorry guys, where do i find the hall effect pick up and the harmonic ballancer? my haynes doesnīt mention them in the index...

and what is a speed density 5.0 ??? all i know is that itīs not the high output engine, itīs the normal one. iīll read the fault codes maybe tomorrow, iīll get back with it.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:32   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Does it have a maf senser being Lincoln it may have in 88..The vanes to my knowledge are in dissy..What I meant by harmonic ballancer is the outer band MAY have slipped and put your timming out, Puts it out when you RE-TUNE again.. As when checking with timming light the marks on H/B is what you line up.. Iff maf your meter maybe not working in this case you could be limp mode and you don't get much advance etc..Have you checked or cleaned your maf IF you have one..Check inlet leaks bap/bp, iat/act,tps and maf??..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech