Throttle Body Mods - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2001, 07:16   #1 (permalink)
Snerlo

Throttle Body Mods

Can anyone shed any light on modifications to throttle bodies. I have an AU2 200kw xr8 and have been talking to a couple of people who are saying that I should get it shimmed out to the same size as the new 220kw version (75mm I think). Can any of you guys give me some advice, as noone up here in Brisbane XR club really likes doing huge modifications, therefore no knowledge. Thanks.
My mods so far:
- 3" mandrel bent exhaust with stainless muffler (sounds like the ducks nuts)
- K & N air filter with air ramp into standard snorkel.
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2001, 13:46   #2 (permalink)
paul

Not sure on the newer Au's but I'm sure they are 70mm for the 220 kw.[someone will shed more light]S.v.o for years only had a 65mm throttle body.Unless there is a restriction there it won't make much/any difference,like putting 4" exhaust on yours.Port matching and slight head work [cam??]is the main difference I think..200 -220 kw
Old 10-19-2001, 09:09   #3 (permalink)
slim

yes 220kw has the old T-series 70mm TB.
200 has the stock one. 65mm i think.
Old 10-21-2001, 01:34   #4 (permalink)

I have yet to figure out why Tickford are needing/using such large throttle bodies, when there are 450-500Hp Mustangs running around in the US with just a 65mm and claim there is no gain with using a larger one...

The new T-Series are going to use an 82mm one, id bet some of those Twin Turbo Stangs over there arnt even running that big....

Who knows?, as long as the T-Series stroker is quicker than a clubby I couldnt give a toss what they are running!
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 06:15   #5 (permalink)

Try to remember, the windsor V8 as used in the US was a Truck motor, never designed for performance in the context of todays engines. The mods done to it by Tickford, Herrod and the heaps of enthusiasts are considerable, particularly in the breathing dept.

The head & port work, the inlet manifold work, and the Throttle body work are not just about extra power, but HOW the power is delivered & where & how smooth, if you read the news, the new 5.6l V8 also gets a new cold air box too.

I just can't wait for the road test comparisons.

Anyway even if HRT won Bathurst, in the real world, who won the UTE race ? How good is it when a ute with leaf springs powered by a 5 litre V8 can beat a CHEV 350V8 ute with IRS over 6 laps at Bathurst ?.
redwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 23:02   #6 (permalink)
paul

:Those sort of power numbers are from
Street Renegade type cars in drag racing were one power adder can be used either nos,blower,single turbo[the rules were changed from two to one]for there was too much of an advantage.With forced induction bigger throttle bodies are no "major" help.Though they do have 80mm.The heads they use also are usually after market and can flow real high numbers[hardly street].Heads like Cainfields etc up to $7 U.S grand or more..
Martin is spot on in my opinion.Check out what they have on there cars on the Corral.net sight and they hardly have over 70mm.How big is the maf on these Tickford motors.You can go a little over on a 347 it's almost a 351 ci.Compared to 302..The truck motors wont fit in a Mustang well not with there std manifolds,they are too high.Easy to convert to Mussy mill!!One of the quickest Fords over there is the Lightning truck..not sure of it's name 150 ?? 13's 1/4..Supercharged 5.4 0hc..Love to see that in Falcon!Height/size is the prob
From what I have seen U.S octane ratings are alot lower too..
I hope they don't have trouble with warrenty with big rev's etc and short rods puts alot of side stress on pistons,cylinder walls,rings..on 347's..
The Ford utes are allowed mods to motor,I wouldn't tell any G.M fans that tho!!! Sh shshsh p.s Ford DO have better heads than what they are using here..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech