Timing Advance 1989 302 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2003, 14:40   #1 (permalink)
discajo

Timing Advance 1989 302

Can't get my timing to advance on my 1989 302 and as a result the engine runs like a pig (sluggish/hesitation/intermittant backfire thru throttle body). Base timing is correct @10 degrees BTDC. Put a tester on and it reads no codes. But here's the funny part. When I put on the tester and run the WOT test the engine advances normally. The tester also lets you check to see if the timing advances, and it does. The is a big improvement in engine performance at this time. As soon as I take the tester off the engine it's back to it's old sluggish self. The engine has been this way for years and I think I'm close to a fix, but I'm not sure what the problem is given these clues. It sounds like it could be a sensor, but I have no codes. The coil gives a strong spark. Perhaps it's a TFI module or mayby the computer itself.
Sure would appreciate some help before I start buying all the possible electrical components that could be contributing to the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2003, 18:10   #2 (permalink)

It almost sounds like someone removed the inline spout connector and never plugged it back in. Check to be sure the gray shorting block is plugged into the spout connector. If it is not, the electronic advance won't work. The ISC is normally removed only when setting the base timing.

The location of the spout connector depends on the location of your TFI module. Locate your TFI module and follow the connector wires back from the module and you should come across the ISC.

Hope this helps!
Full 3" stainless Bassani Exhaust
32" BFG's/stock suspension

"No replacement for displacement."

"Our lugnuts require more torque than most Honda's produce!"
'92BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 10:24   #3 (permalink)
discajo

Re: Timing Advance 1989 302

Thanks...The spout is definitly attached and plugged in
Old 08-05-2003, 13:27   #4 (permalink)

If there is no spark advance when the spout connector is plugged in and if the base timing was set with the spout connector removed, the problem is most likely the PCM. I would double check that the spout connector is clean and is making good contact with the terminals. If it is, you may be forced to let Ford test the powertrain control module.

Good luck!
Full 3" stainless Bassani Exhaust
32" BFG's/stock suspension

"No replacement for displacement."

"Our lugnuts require more torque than most Honda's produce!"
'92BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech