trouble with 1993 transplanted engine in 1965 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2006, 18:43   #1 (permalink)

trouble with 1993 transplanted engine in 1965

Sir,
I have transplanted 1993 ford 5.0 engine with 5 speed world class t-5 into a 1965 mustang. I utilize the wiring hardness from a 1993 cougar, the throttle body, egr, and everything from the top of the engine with exception of fuel rails and injectors was taken from the cougar for the top of the mustang engine. Additionally the O2 sensors for the cougar were also utilize. The car is time at 10 degress before Top dead center for timing. The problem I'm having is getting a smooth idle. At first I tried a new Mass air flow sensor but I get the same results that had with the old one. The engine does run alot better and will come to idle better with the MAF sensor unplugged. I need to get 48 PSI across my regulator due to installing a MSD fuel pump that puts out 80 PSI. I order a 35-75 PSI regulator from Summit to adjust the massive pressure of the fuel pump. I have not put a gauge on it yet but plan to. The Left side or driver side exhaust does not get hot like the right side. Probably due to the pressure not being around 48 PSI and the left bank eating more gas. I did notice the throttle body on the engine before I swapp it to the 93 cougar throttle body had the middle hole out and the cougar had it filled from the factory. The gaskets for the trottle body both have the hole. Any assitance will be deeply appreciated. I cant wait to get this Mustang on the road please sent technical guidance to put me in the driver seat soon.
Thank You
Walter Drain
dstang1965@bellsouth.net
dstang1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2006, 04:14   #2 (permalink)

Re: trouble with 1993 transplanted engine in 1965

Sure its not a timing issue?
2 reasons....

1. The later engine uses a different firing order to earlier...often reffered to as the 351 order.. (don't ask me to quote em off the top of my head)

2. Are you running the computer controlled ignition? did you follow the correct procedure to time it? many of these computer controlled ignitions require grounding of a wire to put it into tune mode.

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 17:44   #3 (permalink)

This is a regualr HO 5.0 the engine timing came striaght from the book. To time you just unplugged the spout located next to the fire wall on the passenger side. Of course you wait till the car is warm up. shut it off and unplug the spout crank back up and adjust. Shut off, plug up spout and crank back up. Timing calls for 10 degrees before top dead center for regular gas. You can cheat but it mite start pigging. If you get around 14 dgrees and so forth. Again striaght from the book. I have read about if the cam gets change and you switch to fuel injection to use the 351 timing scheme but that should not apply here.
Old 11-30-2006, 17:52   #4 (permalink)

The book does not mention a ground. If there is a ground would it be before you crank the car after the spout is unplugged. I could see that correcting the previously store timing to zero and logging the next. But again the book does not say to ground. I'm using the cougar/thunderbird book from 1987 to 1995 i think. Does the mustang book call for a ground. The motors are nearly identical but I dont have mustang book.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:11   #5 (permalink)

Hmm ok.
wasn't 100% sure on the technique for your engine.....had to ask the obvious.

Have you tested the plug leads for resistance etc..it it possible to get a dead one.
Same for plugs.

Sounds like a simple problem, as the thing runs!.

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech