Ford Forums banner

Tunnel Port heads

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Leadfootracing 
#1 ·
Did Bob janes '68 ex shelby trans am mustang run with the Tunnel Port 302? Does anyone know what happend to the Tunnel Port that came from Moffats Boss 302?

Also does the water jackets in a windsor head run over the top of the inlet port. If so is that the only way that water can flow through the head or do the passages run between combustion chamber areas as well.

#2 ·
I think the water jackets r the same as a Clevo but Windsors run water through the front of the manifold into the thermostat instead of a Clevo which runs the water through the block and up to the thermostat. Can someone post a diagram from the Ford Motorsport Catalogue please ???

#3 ·
moffats boss 302 did not use tunnel port heads. dur to the unreliability of the 2 bolt mains tunnel port engine, in 1969 ford homologated cleveland heads (very similar to 4V) and a 4bolt main windsor block into the boss boss mustang for the exclusive purpose of winning the trans am manufacturers championship.
see http://phystutor.tripod.com/stang/engines/boss302.html for a quick description.
as for the coolant passages, try http://themustangshop.com/ and use the how to link, then 351 cleveland heads onto 351 windsor block.

#5 ·
Yeah appeanntly the story is they could not get moffats car finnished quick enough and moffat only recieved his Boss after tell the ford racing boss in the US about the BOSS302 trans ams first WINS ANY WHERE IN THE world
They shiped one over immediatly. And to clear up the tunnel ports did have 4 bolt blocks that are Identical to the BOSS engines. The reason for the erratic faluires is due to a fairly standard Rod and crank mixed with 7500rpm+ - for the boss they went for steel crank and spot faced rods (5.315" forged items in trans am cars)

Just in case some wants to know I am looking at buying a Genuine TP302 from the US. I think that a good cross ram inlet and a modern roller cam will make it more driveble but I want to be sure before I lay out $8000 for a motor that hasn't been started since 1975.

#6 ·
Mate there is a guy called David White, a dyed in the wool ford freak that works for the NSW Fire Brigades on the central coast of NSW. Try and track him down through NSWFB HQ and leave a message for him to contact you, or PM me if you dont do any good and I will get him for you. I know he had a set, and probably still does, and knows shitloads about them, and the rest of the gear the TP engines used

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.