Turbo/Twinturbo 302 in mk3 cortina! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: cheapest/easiest/most streetable way of getting 330-350rwkw in a tc cortina.
302w turbo 7 33.33%
302w twin turbo 4 19.05%
4.1 crossflow turbo 10 47.62%
302 n/a 6 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2004, 20:43   #1 (permalink)
1974 xl tc 250 cortina

Turbo/Twinturbo 302 in mk3 cortina!

At the moment I have just started looking at slotting a 302w (older carby version) into my tc cortina. I want to run either a turbo or twin turbo set up on straight lpg.

Will a turbo/twinturbo set up (with intercooler) fit into a tc cortina? Which one is the easiest and best way to go?

Or should I just stick to the original plan and run a 4.1 litre crossflow turbo?

My initial rwkw goal is 330-350. But the potential for more later on would be nice.

Whats the cheapest/easiest/most streetable way of getting there?

If I can do it n/a in a 302w I would consider that as well.

Thanks
thek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2004, 03:43   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Turbo/Twinturbo 302 in mk3 cortina!

The hardest part with turbo [s] is keeping the power down to that level >>>
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:24   #3 (permalink)
1974 xl tc 250 cortina

Quote:
The hardest part with turbo [s] is keeping the power down to that level >>>

Are they really that powerful? This sounds very encouraging. I just hope it can all fit in a tc cortina!

So what would be the upper limits, rwkw wise, running turbo/twin turbos on a 302w?
Old 07-26-2004, 05:11   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

So long as fuel and timming is set up right... YES !!!

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/...?s=&forumid=13
R.I.P Possum...
Old 07-27-2004, 02:42   #5 (permalink)

i'd stick to the crossflow turbo, the 302 would weigh too much/cramped fit with twins also.
ltd351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:16   #6 (permalink)
blue66coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd351
i'd stick to the crossflow turbo, the 302 would weigh too much/cramped fit with twins also.
302 with ally heads same or lighter than crossflow, much better in camshaft, crossflow bastard cam eaters especially with short duration big lift cams ie blown/turbo unless spending big bucks for roller setup
Old 07-27-2004, 04:32   #7 (permalink)
1974 xl tc 250 cortina

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue66coupe
302 with ally heads same or lighter than crossflow, much better in camshaft, crossflow bastard cam eaters especially with short duration big lift cams ie blown/turbo unless spending big bucks for roller setup
How much would a roller set up cost for a 4.1 crossflow. I know this is not the place to ask that question, but it kinda fits in with the thread so that is my justification.

I have now learned that 302w's are quite a tight fit in tc cortys even without the twinturbos. So does anyone know what I would have to do with regard to wheel arch modification etc, to make em fit?

Or maybe i could just have the exhaust manifolds coming to the front of the engine and house the turbos there. (bit less piping to cooler, bonus)

I guess ill have to find out how much clearance, if any, there is at the front, (and sorta on the sides too), of the motor.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:38   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Fit the turbo's infront of the engine!!! Windsors are way shorter than six's...They only need to be T3 in size....
Btw there IS more room under a Cortina than there is in an E.B...
R.I.P Possum...
Old 07-27-2004, 21:06   #9 (permalink)

I still say go for a six, doesn't have to be a 4.1 crossflow, could be from newer model, maybe even o/head cam one. That would be very quick!!! and light, I say the v8 would probably be quicker but you wont need that extra power, turbo sixes are scary enough, even crappy old 4.1 crossflows.
ltd351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:03   #10 (permalink)
1974 xl tc 250 cortina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Fit the turbo's infront of the engine!!! Windsors are way shorter than six's...They only need to be T3 in size....
Btw there IS more room under a Cortina than there is in an E.B...
So you think there would be enough room then Ebxr8240? I was thinking of twin t4's or a single t66. What do you guys recon? So, if twin t's on a 302w can be done on an EB then they should be ok to fit in a corty?

I would want something that can run at 330-350rwkw on the street, on low boost, then go 450rwkw+++ on the weekend at the strip with higher psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd351
I still say go for a six, doesn't have to be a 4.1 crossflow, could be from newer model, maybe even o/head cam one. That would be very quick!!! and light, I say the v8 would probably be quicker but you wont need that extra power, turbo sixes are scary enough, even crappy old 4.1 crossflows.
Ohc 4.0's are a real prick to fit apparently. They are too long to fit in the cortys engine bay properly. And numerous other changes have to be made as well. Very time consuming apparently. Ask 'tarahymen' (classic name, gotta love it) on these boards, he has done it, thats where I got the info. Its a shame as well because I would love to run this motor with a turbo.

I might not want the extra power to begin with but in the end I will.I mean come on, who doesnt. You get more power, you get used to it, you get more power, you get used to it and so on a so forth.

It would be great to just wind the boost when I want more power, rather than have to drop in a whole new motor. Thats what ill get with a 302t or tt.

The turbos crossflows can pull pretty amazing figures, especially torque, but once you get to 350-400rwkw it gets very hard to extract more, and keep it streetable, without mega $$$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech