Ford Forums banner

Twin throttle manifold, anyone done it?

5K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  MrLandau 
#1 ·
You see it on lots of Holdens but why not any Fords? Surely a twin throttle manifold would be a good thing on a high powered Windsor. I am guessing it has something to do with the throttle location but I have seen an EL XR6 with a twin throttle setup here in Perth. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
My friend/mechanic converted his own EL XR8 to twin throts by blanking of the side where the throttle body normally sits installing 2 on the other side at the elbow. He said it gave a little bit more up top but the biggest difference was it made the car ultra responsive almost snappy to drive.

#4 ·
There use to be manifolds made to allow you to run twin throttle bodies but they didn't really give any more power so they never took off. Much easier to just get a bigger throttle body, the 65mm ones are good for 250+kw and have excellent throttle response while the 70's are good for 350+kw and still give good throttle response

#6 ·
Good enough pics mate..If the original was machined off & welded it would look very nice...Was this before or after Pick and Pay ???

#7 ·
any idea what size to two TBs he used were?

#8 ·
DONTRY said:
You see it on lots of Holdens but why not any Fords? Surely a twin throttle manifold would be a good thing on a high powered Windsor. I am guessing it has something to do with the throttle location but I have seen an EL XR6 with a twin throttle setup here in Perth. Any thoughts?
what manifold is the xr6 using to allow 2 tb's? it wound be a waist of time unless u wer making hudge hps or using a turbo

#9 ·
A company in the states called BXR manifolds, used to make them.

BXR "BALANCED X-RAM RUNNER"
If there was a gold medal for the wildest looking 5.0L induction system, BXR's Balanced Cross Ram intake manifold would take the prize hands down! It looks more like something off a mid-Sixties Mopar Super Stocker than an EFI manifold for a 5.0L Mustang, but the concept is unique enough to justify a patent (number 5,551,386). The BXR has 18-inch runners for a good compromise between good low and mid-range torque and maximum high end horsepower, and all 8 of 'em are absolutely identical in size and flow.

There is some info around on some of the US forums, but I haven't been able to find their website, so not sure if they are still in business.

Mr Jucy: That's an interesting set-up your friend has, but the old inlet position must cause a lot of air turbulance in the manifold... as ebxr8240 pointed out.. it would look heaps better if cut off and rewelded... but would also help with performance IMHO... I believe this set-up he has also effectivly reduces the runner length so there would be some low end grunt lost...

#10 ·
Tickford2001 I think from memory they are 55s

Fuse yeah it would look better if he finished it off neater but it is his own car that he is constantly trying different things on so was to fussed about making it pretty. He has actually changed the inside abit & added to the side the throttle bodies are on to give it a larger plenum (spelling?) which he has feels most manifolds lack he has found this makes it alot more reponsive also this car will soon have forced induction which would suit short runers & will make a plenum volume even more important.
He made another all custom manifold that had cross rams with a plenum on both sides & a throttle body at the front of each but has gone to this just for packaging reasons.
Neither system is perfect they are both more like prototypes but theydo work & give you an idea of whats possible.

#17 ·
MADNC_8 said:
that looks.....cool!

i'd love one of those for the NC :p

much in the way of gains???
Never actually dyno'ed it, could definitely feel a gain above 4500 (as well as a loss below there) Had it on a Manual 5.0, crane 2020 and Cat-back twin 2.5". Would be better on 5.6L at 6000/6250 max. It only had 8" runners as lower was a Tunnel ram design.

#19 ·
MADNC_8 said:
ahhhh yeah

(would you consider making another, just looks so neat)
The cost to do it would be inefficient. The lower manifold was a 'D' port tunnel ram design, by Weiand. It came with blanked injector bosses and was about $600 to buy. The upper was sheetmetal fabricated and took about 20-25 hours to make. The fuel rails were aluminium stock extrusion and were drilled to suit the manifold and lastly, the std fuel pressure reg was ditched (as it didn't fit) for an aftermarket adjustable malpassi which I mounted neatly under the coil pack bracket. I only did it for the exact reason that this thread was started - uniqueness - D.

#20 ·
ah yep thats fair mate, was just wondering.

im going to, in the next year, build my motor up as a 347 stroker. i have got a XH XR8 motor to repower my car so its on teh road while the engine is being built, as like most people i only have the 1 car - i was even considering putting an I6 in it temporarily till the motor gets built but i couldnt live without an 8.

was just wondering cos ill need a nice high flowing manifold.

#21 ·
MADNC_8 said:
ah yep thats fair mate, was just wondering.

im going to, in the next year, build my motor up as a 347 stroker. i have got a XH XR8 motor to repower my car so its on teh road while the engine is being built, as like most people i only have the 1 car - i was even considering putting an I6 in it temporarily till the motor gets built but i couldnt live without an 8.

was just wondering cos ill need a nice high flowing manifold.
If you can cop a bonnet bulge, TFS make a BOX section upper for there r series lower You can see it on thier website at www.trickflow.com. it was in the 'new products' section last time I looked. Edelbrock's Victor 5.0 flows well also but i'm into manifolds that don't cover half the engine up.

#23 ·
MADNC_8 said:
we were actually considering bulging my bonnet :p i can get hold of a ba XR8 bonnet thats damaged at the edge ( mate is a panno) for nix so :p

i just looked over on teh trickflow site and thats a nice manifold:p
I Think your a bit like me. If you got the same Hp and LOST a little midrange torque by running a short runner manifold that looked good compared to a long runner manifold (better suited to the engine combo) that looked shit you could still sleep ok at night. :wnc:

#25 ·
CAT600 said:
I Think your a bit like me. If you got the same Hp and LOST a little midrange torque by running a short runner manifold that looked good compared to a long runner manifold (better suited to the engine combo) that looked shit you could still sleep ok at night. :wnc:
347 like short runner manifolds - 302's like long runner manifolds to promote torque
Shane

#26 ·
Like these ...single t/b tho...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.