Underdrive Pullies Solution - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2004, 00:32   #1 (permalink)
Must not void insurance

Underdrive Pullies Solution

All you people chasing underdrive pullies without much joy, here's an option for you.

I got an aluminium set in for the 94-95 mustang, the crank pulley fits fine, but i had to get the centre machined out of the water pump pulley, (falcon hole is bigger) and new bolt holes drilled.

This was a simple proceedure done at an engineering shop on the lathe, cost me $40 bucks.

I've found a supplier in the states to get good quality aluminium pulleys at an affordable price, so let me know if you are interested in a set. $220 for the pulleys, $40 for machining work, or get the machining done yourself.

All pulleys are black powdercoated alloy.

Alternator pulley is the same size as the standard one on the ef/el xr8 so i didn't replace it. So far no charging or cooling problems, and i'm using the original length belt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2004, 03:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: Underdrive Pullies Solution

I just sent you a PM.. then I saw this post.

Okay so crank pulley fits without a problem but the water pump needs machining.. thats fine cause I'm not interested in one cause my XR runs too hot as it is and thats with a heat spacer between the upper and lower intake.

You say the alternator pulley is the same size as the stock EF/EL, that doesnt make sense unless the mustangs run a larger one out of the factory?

Power - 190rwkw
1/4 Mile - Coming Soon

I JUST MUNCHED A 14.2SEC TWIN TURBO SUPRA.....TWICE. GO THE BOSS.
XR8GN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:14   #3 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

Yup, the incorrect ones are Pre-94.
Old 09-23-2004, 15:02   #4 (permalink)
Must not void insurance

Alternator pulley is definately the same size.

If operating temperature gets to be an issue, i'll put a colder thermostat in it.

Have not ever seen a kit advertised for the explorer motor, which is probably the easiest way to fit the falcon.

You asked me about bpt pulleys, i know they use 'asp - auto specialty products' pulleys, probably just importing them, giving you the crank pulley and ditching the rest. There are some places in the states that'll sell you just the crank pulley much cheaper too.

I did run just the underdriven crank pulley first off, but the belt was a fraction too long with this setup, and would squeal sometimes (not enough tension), once the matching water pump pulley was installed, the original belt fits like a charm again.
Old 09-23-2004, 17:39   #5 (permalink)
Pro-M Distributor

The pulley sets must be installed as a set - if you just want the single underdrive crank pulley (like the ASP one)you will end up with all your accessories running at 25% slower. The Ford Racing Products kit underdrives the alternator 22% and the water pump only 12 % - so you will not have the overheating problems and the other accessories run at around 8% from memory.
Shane

The 2 drag racers addages
1. If you are in control - you haven't got enough Horse Power...
2. If you throw it up in the air and it comes down - It's too heavy...

My Toys:
1998 NL FBT 033, Blue
1996 NL V8 Fairlane Ghia, YBESLO White, Grey trim, 16" V5 Simmons, LOW

Squeezed is nice, stroked is good, blown is unbeliveable - but all 3 is heaven
MrLandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 18:57   #6 (permalink)
Must not void insurance

mine has the whole kit installed, bar the alternator pulley (which was the same size anyway), so if it'll run ok on a mustang, i can't see why i should encounter any problems.... Will keep you guys posted if i encounter charge problems etc.

I have a big arse stereo/av gear in there so, we'll see what the outcome is.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:27   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLandau
The pulley sets must be installed as a set - if you just want the single underdrive crank pulley (like the ASP one)you will end up with all your accessories running at 25% slower. The Ford Racing Products kit underdrives the alternator 22% and the water pump only 12 % - so you will not have the overheating problems and the other accessories run at around 8% from memory.
Shane

If its a problem running all the accessories at 25% less power then why do BPT recommend supplying just the crank pulley with a shorter belt.

I contacted a Raceparts Australia and some guy there told me they dont supply the Ford Racing pulley kits becasue the layout of the accessories on the mustang is different and it wouldnt fit a aussie 5.0L...what a load of BS that is....

Power - 190rwkw
1/4 Mile - Coming Soon

I JUST MUNCHED A 14.2SEC TWIN TURBO SUPRA.....TWICE. GO THE BOSS.
XR8GN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 02:46   #8 (permalink)
Pro-M Distributor

Ask Battens that - not me. At 14% underdriven- March, Ford racing and BBK all say that cooling will be diminished. I would not personally be wanting to idle around anywhere that the temperature reaches over 30 with this percent of underdrive - I lived in Dampier in the North West shelf and the NL cooling was borderline there with no underdrive.
Shane

The 2 drag racers addages
1. If you are in control - you haven't got enough Horse Power...
2. If you throw it up in the air and it comes down - It's too heavy...

My Toys:
1998 NL FBT 033, Blue
1996 NL V8 Fairlane Ghia, YBESLO White, Grey trim, 16" V5 Simmons, LOW

Squeezed is nice, stroked is good, blown is unbeliveable - but all 3 is heaven
MrLandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 16:25   #9 (permalink)
Must not void insurance

it's literally a 10 minute job to change the pulleys, if it turns out to be a hassle, i'' just run them in the cooler months.

Makes a nice difference, and gives just that little more edge on the hsv owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech