Ford Forums banner

Upgrading Windsor Internals

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  tickford2001 
#1 ·
WHAT U GUYS RECKON about this deal for $2000-

Ford 302 Forged Internals

Set of Probe pistons, dished top, 9:1 compression. Overbore 30 thou.

RPM rods made of 4340 grade steel. Very light and strong.

Dominator 4340 forged crank. Heat treated for high horse power applications.

Also included are chrome-moly piston rings and rod and main bearings to suit, as well as a chrome-moly main girdle (not pictured) for increased block strength, with ARP main studs set.

All items unused and made in USA. Excellent value at nearly half of replacement cost.

THIS WILL BRING TOTAL DISPLACEMENT TO 331CI

if brought this would be fitted to a 96 EF XR8 block which is running at 250kw
with ported e7s(will be upgrade to AFR165cc) roller rockers,gt40 intake ,70mm thottle body, larger injectors ,unichip ,svo 4-1 headers,mild cam,custom 4inch stainless intake k&n pod filter(soon to have custom cold airbox)

how will this go ,should i buy the internal kit -will the block handle 300kw+ :wnc:
what else may i have to do -thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
YEP !!!! But keep in mind the block is the weal link..I have run twin turbo's on my old block with ported TFS heads, E303 cam, 36 Lb injectors and run ALL day at 260rwkw with std thats "STD" rotating assembly at 10 Lb boost maybe more?...And the rev limit was set to 6500 rpm and it got there very quick!! I since replaced block with Dart & 3.25 steel crank and top quality rods..Similar to what you have...300Kw will be at its max as I guess thats over 500 h.p at fly..The std block splits from cam bearings down to mains...But to do that you still have to be fairly abusive to engine...You'll need atleast a Tremec 3550...
All roller blocks are the same, not very strong over 450fwhp..
Having said that its nice to know your rotating assembly is strong!! YES keep it as light as possible...Unless you realy have to forget unichip and invest in correct maf..See Mr Landau for them....Hth...Graeme

You'll find this interesting...
http://www.turbomustangs.com/index2.htm

http://www.flatlanderracing.com/dartfordblocks.html

#5 ·
-replace all the 302 stuff with 331/347 compatible stuff.

-please explain (the heads will be changed to AFR165cc)

p.s -am thinking that it may be better to sell the 350hp engine&box 80k on the clock-- to fund the heads&stronger block -sportsman,mexico --with forged internals

have just purchased -a brand new AU tremac gearbox -2800nzd :wnc:
hoping its going fit up without any major mods

#7 ·
in all hind sight the 331 has a better rod ratio than the 347, thus seem to rev easier, though the 347 will create more torque. as ebxr8240 said the rollar block would then be your weakest link and i personally wouldn't like to try and pull much more than 450fwhp, upto 500fwhp max as this seems to be where most of these blocks seem to really get stressed, and could cost you more in the longrun to try and replace all the good gear again if the block goes on you.

#9 ·
Just remember from my thread on "stroker clearancing" the strokers are not a bolt in proposition - the block and oilpump need clearancing to make it fit
http://groups.msn.com/LandauLTDhaven/shoebox.msnw - for some pictures of what is involved.
Shane

#10 ·
jm EF XR8 said:
-replace all the 302 stuff with 331/347 compatible stuff.

-please explain (the heads will be changed to AFR165cc)
1) A 347 is 15% larger than a 302, so all things being equal, you will need to increase the size of specific things the appropriate amount - injectors for example

2) 165's are too small. I use 185's on my 347 but i would go 205's if i did it again.

#11 ·
you absolutely have to go the stroker motor if youre going to be doing this rebuild!

if youre going to do it, do it right ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.