Ford Forums banner

URGENT any ideas?

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
fitted my painted rocker covers last night and now the car wont run!

it fires up and then runs for like a second then dies

if you give it a bit it keeps runnijng but really roughly and sounds like its missfiring but as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator it dies again

i didnt unplug any of the leads or anything so theyre not mixed up or anything

anyone got any ideas?

i didnt replace the intake manifold gasket but to me this doesnt sound like its anything to do with a leak or anything, seems electrical, but hey im no expert

#4 ·
ummmm go back to the 6cyl forum dellboy!!

hehe we don't have a map sensor :p

Check for plugs left hanging in the breeze. Unplugged MAF or TPS can cause this. I was having a little play round unplugging bits and peices to see what would happen. If you wind a plug find the other side to it. They make em so that every thing is a differnt shape and can only go one place.

#6 ·
NZ said:
ummmm go back to the 6cyl forum dellboy!!

hehe we don't have a map sensor :p

Check for plugs left hanging in the breeze. Unplugged MAF or TPS can cause this. I was having a little play round unplugging bits and peices to see what would happen. If you wind a plug find the other side to it. They make em so that every thing is a differnt shape and can only go one place.
yep didnt think i had a map, thought i only had a maf

cant find any loose plugs that was the first thing i checked
and have continually checked

#11 ·
Check for air leaks around rocker cover gagsets...If there is any leaks the engine is sucking in unmettered air and runs lean...It sounds like a vacuum hose or similar is off ???
PCV etc back on ?? They run like that if oil cap is off, so work from there..

BTW early V8's did have map as well.It was used to measure barro pressure, it was vented to atmo not inlet...

#13 ·
My guess is vacuum leak. I've done it a couple of times where i've left a vac hose astray and she idles rough and dies quickly. esp after a lil rev. Pull all your intake off again and check, also any vac lines you may have missed inc under the manifold and connecting to rocker covers.
One of the times i did it it had me stuffed for where the leak was for a couple days. Silly me!

#15 ·
These little challenges are so frustrating aren't they.

Firstly, check that the earth lead for your fuel injectors was connected properly when you put the intake manifold back on. From memory it connects to the back manifold bolt near the regulator.

If it isn't that it may be the idle control (disconnected). The process I'd go through would be;

1) Make sure the MAF, Idle control, TPS, Air temp and all fuel injectors are plugged in properly - however, none of these should cause the car to stall or just not run.
2) Coil pack lead ends and plugs haven't been dislodged
3) If none of those the the only things left that I can think of is PCV and vacuum hoses etc are all attached.

You say you haven't touched or removed leads etc. I doubt this would be the cause as even if one failed the car would still run (poor, but still run).

#17 ·
FalKeen said:
just thanking anyone that helped

it was a stuffed inlet manifold gasket

grabbed another one fitted it all up and she runs fine now

happy days :hy:
How unlucky are you? I've taken my manifold off 3 times - twice to paint it and once to fit rockers and have no probs with the gaskets at all. i have a spare gasket if you want it! lol.

#19 ·
Too late now but they are easy to cut out as they are rather big & easy to cut out!!!
Thats the one between top & bottom inlet...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.