Very newbie. Mild Edelbrock 351W upgrades on 75 Torino? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2006, 18:02   #1 (permalink)

Very newbie. Mild Edelbrock 351W upgrades on 75 Torino?

Hi I'm brand new to engine upgrades, and would appreciate any advice on the Edelbrock parts below or what to look out for. I'm still in 1st grade when it comes to this stuff...

I recently bought a real nice survivor 75 Gran Torino. The car has been stored for years and is in near perfect shape with 27k and all stock except new rims, air shocks, and dual exhaust. Car has 351w 2v with FMX transmission and 3.0:1. Probably about 158hp as-is.

I want to do some mild performance upgrades to the engine and give it more spirit *but I'm not looking to make a strip rocket.* If I could get about 200-220hp I'll be perfectly happy. I also want to keep it relatively inexpensive, with parts I can find in local shops. The edelbrock performer matched parts seem to fit all that criteria and I'm pretty focused on them-- I can buy them right down the street. I've got little experience under the hood so I'll need a garage to do the work, but I want to have a good plan in place before I start.

I'd prefer not to do a full rebuild, but worried the bolt on parts might stress the internals. Can I use a 4v edelbrock performer intake on the stock 2v engine or should I go with the 2v intake? Will I need better valves or springs?

Finally, we don't have emissions here, but I'd would like to keep the EGR stuff on if I can and stock air cleaner. Can I disable the egr valves for now and enable it later if need be?

------------------------------------

Tentative Upgrade Plan

-4v Edelbrock performer EGR Carb (1400) -- better to use 1406 non-egr?
-Edelbrock performer EGR manifold (4v) & spacer (3781) -- Will this work on the 2v 351W?
-Edelbrock Cam and lifters kit (2182)
-Exhaust Headers - future... recommendations?
-Dual Exhaust - DONE
-Upgraded suspension - DONE
-sway bar upgade- Is this a worthwhile upgrade?

------------------------------------

Thanks, any information at all will be a real lifesaver here!

Mark

the car, so far:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2218265
Markaes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006, 16:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: Very newbie. Mild Edelbrock 351W upgrades on 75 Torino?

Very nice looking car. I wouldn't change a thing on the body or interior. It's nice to see such a well preserved car.

Whatever Edelbrock has in a kit for your 351W would be good for you. It is a no hassles way to get some good performance out of your engine. I would recommend calling Edelbrock and talking with them about what you have and what you can expect with their package. Be sure to get a complete matched package.

With only 27K miles on your engine there should be no problem with the internals for the amount of power you are looking at. The only thing that would be lacking could be the valve springs for hardly being moved. You should get those replaced. Depending on how much money you have to play with you might be ahead by pulling the heads and just getting a valve job done over the cost of only having just the springs replaced. Get a price on both and if you get the valve job then get a 3-angle grind done on them. That will help you out some, especially when getting a better cam.

You may want to keep the EGR. It provides a cooling affect that was considered when the engine was designed.

Your girlfriend's car looks great too. Nice to see an AMC enthusiast.
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:09   #3 (permalink)

Hey great, thanks for the tips. Really, thats actually good news that I was hoping to hear from someone because I don't want to get more confused trying to mix and match more exotic parts.

The only thing that concerns me still is the emissions and EGR equip. My city does not have emissions, but would prefer to keep it in. The Edelbrock packages seem to be for non-smogged cars. I will give them a call to see if there are any recommendations, but before was wondering if people recommended disabling the EGR\PCV stuff or going with the non-matched emissions legal parts? Keeping everything intact seems to complicate it. But I don't mind a small performance hit by leaving it in and I don't want to mess it up by removing a required component.

I shall look into getting the springs replaced too and see if there are any further recommendations from the shop to rebuild.

Thanks again!

The last of the V-8s. Nice!
Markaes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:01   #4 (permalink)

Between having the EGR on or off you will not feel it when you drive.

You have to keep the PCV. It sucks the blowby gasses that get past the piston rings out of the engine. If you disable this system it will cause the engine to build internal pressure inside it.

My Mad Max project car is a dream I never would have thought possible. When it is done it will be in my family forever.
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 14:26   #5 (permalink)

Garage
cool Re: Very newbie. Mild Edelbrock 351W upgrades on 75 Torino?

All Edelbrock products are great stuff and the matched parts kit you discuss is a fantastic idea on their part. The only problem is they overprice everything they sell. If you can afford it, by all means go with them. BTW, the FMX transmisson is a very poor choice for HiPo driving. I am in the same boat as you are and I face the same choices you do. I have a 351W with a FMX trans in my 73 LTD coupe. I have worked minimum wage all my life and money is tight. I MIGHT go with a $2900 Jasper stroker motor but if I do I will definately go with a block girdle. There are many options to choose from, Ford Racing has many good motors but I can't afford them. Roush also has some, but they are even more expensive. Of course it sounds like you have a good base to start from so a whole motor is not nessessary. If I was you I would drive the car and change the oil and filter about 3 or 4 times in the next 300 miles. After sitting that long it will have a lot of rust particles in it even tho it was taken care of. JB
JB2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech