WEBER vs HOLLEY - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2005, 19:10   #1 (permalink)

WEBER vs HOLLEY

Ok i have a fairly warm street 351W and not real happy with the 750 double holley on it now mainly the bog down when you stand on the gas. So i am looking at either a twin side draft with 45dcoe webers or 4 down draft. Dont know what size to go with the down draft yet. Has anyone played with these combos and is it more trouble than it is worth have heard the responce from the quad set up is awsome
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2005, 19:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: WEBER vs HOLLEY

i know the quad webber set up will have an awsome throttle response but i think they are harder to set up(tune). moffarts stang used 4 twin choke downdraught 48mm ida webbers so they must be pretty good.
Old 03-27-2005, 23:06   #3 (permalink)

dont supose anyone has seen any dyno figer for and against or where i mite find some
Old 03-28-2005, 02:20   #4 (permalink)

I love these posts.............I have been away for the weekend and I am a bit tired, tomorrow I will give you a run dun on the quad 44 idf weber set up I had on my 347.

There are e few people who are on this forum who seen it go when it had webers on it, they can tell you how it went.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~two89w/
347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:01   #5 (permalink)

that would be much appreciated
Old 03-28-2005, 04:43   #6 (permalink)

Slightly off topic but I thought of doing the weber route a long time ago, when I was looking the price of webers was fairly close to a semi decent aftermarket efi system, while it will never look or sound as good as the webers wouldn't the tunability and economy factors outweigh a weber system?

Just to contradict myself I have a raw casting redline quattro manifold if you are looking for one.
blackxbhardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 16:57   #7 (permalink)

I was running quad 44mm idf webers on my 347. From memory, 55 idle jets, 145 main jets, 36mm chokes. I feel my 44mm webers where a bit of a mis match for my 248@.50 cam. I should have gone with 48mm ida's, would have suited the rpm of the cam better.

There is lots of talk concerning tunning of webers and hp output v's 4 barrel.

Well I can tell you first hand that the rumours about they go out of tune easily is bullshit and 4 barrel will give you more top end but less mid to low grunt is true.

If they are set up (syncronised) properly you will never have a problem . Like any carb set up it will behave differently in cold and hot weather , its more noticable with webers than a 4 barrel.

I have both dyno sheets for webers v's four barrel , the only difference being the webers had a 248@.050 solid cam and the four barrel a 228@.050 solid cam.

As previously posted the cost is very high and is slightly cheaper than injection.

It will probably cost you about $1000 for manifold, $700 per carb, linkages $150 , labour.......hate to think.

If you have the money, it will be money very well spent. The torque and low down drivability you get from the things is unsurpassed. They will smooth out the lumpiness in you cam at idle and allow you to cruise around at very low revs without it bucking like a horse.

Its a big out lay of cash but it is simply awsome. I love them but cant afford to have them anymore.

Old 03-28-2005, 23:54   #8 (permalink)

the cost is a bit of an issue Have a price from weber direct for conversion kit ready to go for around $3150. Have you ever come across the twin side draft weber set up for the V8 as this is a much cheaper set up and i know they make a 6 cyl ford grow wings and fly
Old 03-29-2005, 01:23   #9 (permalink)

I have no first hand experience with twin side drafts but I thought about that option aswell.

I spoke to the guy who built my engine and three other people who have run webers,holleys etc They all said that the added expence of the 2 webers as aposed to one holley is not worth it and you wont get the torque of quad webers.

Go the quad webers you will not regret it.
You may think your petrol gauge has become faulty but it will be telling the truth !

What carbs did they recomend?

Old 03-30-2005, 01:05   #10 (permalink)

They have suggested the 45 dcoe but for around a hundred extra could go to the 50dco/sp but i realy dont know to much about em asuming that the sp is more the race version of the two. One more thing what air filter do you run on quad downs FNQ dosent have the cleanest air around?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech

Related Reading: WEBER vs HOLLEY