Ford Forums banner

What engine do I have???

2K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  TopGhia 
G
#1 ·
I picked up an 86 GT mustang with a newer engine dropped in it. The problem is, I don't know what engine it is and neither does the guy I bought it from. How can I determine this??

I found a number under the valve cover on the drivers side "F1SE-BB (or 88)" but this doesn't seem to match up to a Ford service number but I believe the F1SE means its' a 91 Thunderbird engine. I'd like to verify this and to verify whether this is an HO 5.0 or not. The intake manifold does say it's a HO but for all I know the intake manifold or even the label plate don't really go with the engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G
#3 ·
Yes I've been to that site a bunch of times - it's a gold-mine of info. Unfortunately, it does not help me with this issue. If anybody else has any ideas I'd appreciate the input. I was told that where I found that number is where the service number should be on a mustang engine but I don't know if this is a T-bird engine and that means the service number is in a different place. I really need to know what engine I have in there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.