what oil for my winnie? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2005, 23:17   #1 (permalink)

Question what oil for my winnie?

Hi guys

Seeking some advice on lubricant for my old 302. As a few of you would know, its a pretty psycho 302. theres about 10K worth of parts in her including forged alloy pistons, hardcore carillo rods and Alloy heads. I presume the motor has about 450hp. Ive noticed a lot of later model v8s etc are going the way of mobil 1 synthetic oils etc. I like mineral oils for normal motors and everyday use but i am yet to find one i like for the 302. I run Penrite HPR30 in my 3.0L 6 supra motor, and it is perfect - a great oil. I personally dont think it is good enough for my 302 though. At repco the other day i was looking through all the oils to do some research, and i found the following oil..which interested me very much being Synthetic and suited to big bore v8s etc...have a read and tell me what you think?? :

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...a_R_25W_50.pdf

I'm also keen to know what else you guys run in your hot-rods.

Thanks guys

Blake.
(by the way the supra with the 302 runs, if you want a vid or pics let me know)
302_supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2005, 23:27   #2 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

Re: what oil for my winnie?

i am using the pemrite hpr30, just drained the penzoil straight 30 out which also seemd pretty good.
some pics would be great, specially engine bay
Old 05-05-2005, 23:36   #3 (permalink)

see, ive never had any luck with penzoil. I used it in my EB once and it caused it to go all top end noisy. I replaced it with HPR30 and it was good as gold immediately...weird i know!

I also need an oil that will run reasonably hot. I have a bloody huge oil cooler, and i think with the hpr30 it wont let the oil het up properly...Ive only ever got it up to about 65 degrees idling/ at stand still. Im told 85 is about right.
Old 05-05-2005, 23:44   #4 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302_supra
see, ive never had any luck with penzoil. I used it in my EB once and it caused it to go all top end noisy. I replaced it with HPR30 and it was good as gold immediately...weird i know!

I also need an oil that will run reasonably hot. I have a bloody huge oil cooler, and i think with the hpr30 it wont let the oil het up properly...Ive only ever got it up to about 65 degrees idling/ at stand still. Im told 85 is about right.
I havent had the car all that long and it had the penzoil already in it. It is quiter know though but then the hpr30 is like 20-60 and the penzoil was a straight 30. The lifters seem slightly quiter but the lash is a little loose to i think, the cam card recommends 26though which is a fair gap. My father runs the muzzy on the penrite and i've only heard good stuff about them so i changed to that.
Old 05-05-2005, 23:44   #5 (permalink)

VIDEO - at night but it gives u some idea:

http://www.conceptual.net.au/~peewee/blake.avi

PIC BEFORE AIR FILTER/ COOLING ETC

http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcall...ake/green2.jpg

Ill have to get more pics up on the net, its still not finished by far, but its getting there i tell ya!
Old 05-05-2005, 23:55   #6 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

sounds pretty healthy/cammy. What oil are you running at the moment?
Old 05-05-2005, 23:58   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFFAIRMONT
sounds pretty healthy/cammy. What oil are you running at the moment?
Im just running HPR30 to clean the shit out of the motor. Ill probly run it for 2-300km and then dump it and go to my new chosen oil.
Old 05-06-2005, 00:06   #8 (permalink)
goooone

I use Royal Purple it's good stuff & available in a wide range of viscosities which is rare for a synthetic
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 00:26   #9 (permalink)

do you think this castrol looks ok ?
Old 05-06-2005, 01:18   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302_supra
Hi guys

Seeking some advice on lubricant for my old 302. As a few of you would know, its a pretty psycho 302. theres about 10K worth of parts in her including forged alloy pistons, hardcore carillo rods and Alloy heads. I presume the motor has about 450hp. Ive noticed a lot of later model v8s etc are going the way of mobil 1 synthetic oils etc. I like mineral oils for normal motors and everyday use but i am yet to find one i like for the 302. I run Penrite HPR30 in my 3.0L 6 supra motor, and it is perfect - a great oil. I personally dont think it is good enough for my 302 though. At repco the other day i was looking through all the oils to do some research, and i found the following oil..which interested me very much being Synthetic and suited to big bore v8s etc...have a read and tell me what you think?? :

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...a_R_25W_50.pdf

I'm also keen to know what else you guys run in your hot-rods.

Thanks guys

Blake.
(by the way the supra with the 302 runs, if you want a vid or pics let me know)
I use the Castrol you are looking at, or the Penrite HPR30 in my Windsor.They are both mineral based oils which I prefer.I have over 450hp & rev it over 7k regularly, so you shouldn't have a problem.
Cheers.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech