Whatís this piece do? Am I better without it? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2004, 19:30   #1 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Whatís this piece do? Am I better without it?

Obvious as it is, Iím installing an ED XR8 sprint upper and lower inlet manifold onto my 165 windsor. I was removing the sprint throttle body from the inlet yesterday and the urge to know exactly what the following photographed component was got the better of me. I thought Iíd post to

(a) determine what it is and how it works and
(b) ask whether Iíd be better off without it (well more specifically blocking the lines etc going in and out of it)

My AU V8 friends remark ďwhat the hellís thatĒ when casting an eye over my machine so itís obviously an e-series characteristic. When I cracked the throttle body off the manifold I found that the there is a water journal surrounding the inner (engine) side of the throttle (pictured receiving the golden finger). Iíve read that e-series V8s have a heated intakeÖ is this what that literature is referring to? Is this to aid cold starts? Would I be well advised to just plug the two coolant lines entering this spacer and hence reduce the temperature of ingested air?

Secondly Iíd like to know what implications I would find should I remove the lantern hanging from the front of this spacer. Iíve photographed the one on my car currently and you can make out the part number (or bits of it just) if this helps. It has an electrical plug on it and also a vacuum / coolant?? (havenít had a good look, going from memory) line too. Is this for ignition advance? Hot start assistance? Would there any emission concerns with itís removal? The inside (air-passage) of the spacer plate has an ISC style hole in it large enough to comfortably house an index finger. This must disrupt air flow entering the upper inlet surely? Should I attempt to block this hole off too? Iíve taken some delectably low resolution pictures of the piece in question both as installed on my HO currently and of the one that came with the sprint manifold.

Thanks for your help

!Gn|T|0n©ģô

This is the upper before being cleaned and painted. You can see the peice between the throttle and the upper inlet with the bits and pieces attached to it.

Here is a view of the upper from underneath.

From the throttle side

This is the piece when removed

and finally this is a shot of the one that is currently instlled on my HO
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2004, 19:50   #2 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

Re: Whatís this piece do? Am I better without it?

It's an Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve/spacer assembly (EGR).
The AU did away with these.
Best to use it if you have it.No performance gains are to be had removing it, and drivability may suffer if you don't use it.
Give it a clean now that you have it out.
I think the coolant lines were to stop the TB from freesing up in cold climates like Canada.
Old 06-13-2004, 20:31   #3 (permalink)
No longer around

i'd leave the actual spacer (the AU had the spacer just cast.....)
make up an end plate and remove the solonoid looking thing, and cut off the coolant nipples and fill em if you want.
just make it all look factory..... EGR sucks..... and as said was removed for AU...
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 20:44   #4 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

So what is the logic behind removing the EGR?
Old 06-13-2004, 20:49   #5 (permalink)
No longer around

with teh EGR in place, you get hot exhaust gasses as well as hot coolant flowing around the throttle body. by removing the hot exhaust and coolant yo get cooler air coming in... also, it cools the intake manifold by more than you'd imagine.......
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 21:00   #6 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
with teh EGR in place, you get hot exhaust gasses as well as hot coolant flowing around the throttle body. by removing the hot exhaust and coolant yo get cooler air coming in... also, it cools the intake manifold by more than you'd imagine.......
Not to mention possible detonation at part throttle, fault codes coming up, and poor idle on start up.
The EGR valve is not used at WOT,and hardly used when engine has reached operating temp, so there is no performance advantage (the EPA may not like you if you dont use it either).
I don't use one because I have an Explorer intake.But if I could use one I would.
The coolant lines could be bipassed for a cooler intake, but I would leave the EGR valve operating.
Old 06-13-2004, 21:02   #7 (permalink)
known as tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
thats what i told him.. Brisbane never gets cold enough for it to be a major issue anyway.. He just doesn't listen to me.... Bloody fagwa.. plate the valve and run the coolant lines into each other
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 21:09   #8 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

Does the EGR have a sensor or some kind sender unit? If so would loss of signal unsettle the ECU in any way.
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 21:14   #9 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

Yes, hence fault codes come up!
I tapped some threads on the AU EGR spacer to mount the Valve so the computer didn't think something was wrong even though the EGR is not operational, and it still looks legal.
Old 06-13-2004, 21:24   #10 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

Ignition... doesn't your workshop manual explain this?
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech