Why not a stroker? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2002, 22:29   #1 (permalink)
Australian XR8 Member

Why not a stroker?

Last week I looked at purchasing a XY GT replica, after getting it checked out I decided against it due to the rust factor.

After thinking about it for a while it occured to me that all's I wanted was a bit more punch under the pedel.

I own a beautiful EL XR8 that I know well, so why not stroke the 302?

Any positives or negatives would be appreciated, also any suppliers names/recomendations too.

Cheers Benny
Benny ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2002, 00:23   #2 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Ausie Pete will be the best one to talk to he had his done at herrod automotive. ph; 94645100 they are in melb

What about a supercharger.
WINGED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 00:42   #3 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

SVO302 has a 347 ED XR8...

he has had it for a while, and knows a lot of the issues with it too!!
Old 01-31-2002, 01:50   #4 (permalink)
gone

Re: Why not a stroker?

Quote:
Originally posted by Benny ELXR8
Last week I looked at purchasing a XY GT replica, after getting it checked out I decided against it due to the rust factor.

After thinking about it for a while it occured to me that all's I wanted was a bit more punch under the pedel.

I own a beautiful EL XR8 that I know well, so why not stroke the 302?

Any positives or negatives would be appreciated, also any suppliers names/recomendations too.

Cheers Benny
Benny

Our ex club pres is living on the sunshine coast, yeah i know 2 hours away, but anyhows he has sourced some decent companys up there and if you PM me I will give you his mobile number!

Hes about ready to drive off with a 351 in his car, but has had several cars that he has worked!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 03:37   #5 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

I say the 347 is the best piece of work I did to my car. But you need to include stud girdle, blueprinting/balancing, and some head work to make it worthwhile. Being an EL there are further items like MAF, TB, injectors?, etc etc. Not cheap!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 00:14   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Spot on there A.P
I think some guys do it cheap and just assemble and NOT ballance which is "allways" heading for trouble. Different if using std Ford stuff, they are closly ballanced?? But different parts from different co's means different weights.Pays to ballance on std H.P mill anyway!!
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 21:16   #7 (permalink)
Australian XR8 Member

Thanks for the input guys.
I'm not going to say the cost does'nt worry be, but there's no way I'm going to get half the job done.

AP? You must have a rough estimate on what it might cost? I was looking a spending 6k on the GT replica, how safe am I with that money to spend?

I have a friend down here on the coast how is a huge Ford fan, and luckly is a mechanic, (my new best friend) hahaha. so labour costs might be slightly less than expected.

My mate has just brought a VH commadore, some Peter Brock grp something a rather, sounds nice and goes well. I'm keen on putting him to sleep.
Benny ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 21:27   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Benny ELXR8

AP? You must have a rough estimate on what it might cost? I was looking a spending 6k on the GT replica, how safe am I with that money to spend?

I think he's too scared to add it up!!:oo1:
I think you'll need a few g more than that to do similar to what AP has done.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 05:30   #9 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

I have no real dramas with the kit I bought, just afew dramas with the Engine builder really.
Lets say it was DEFINATELY worthwhile & dont regret a thing, powerwise I love it & it doesnt really suck that much more juice than you would think.
I went for an Edelbrock 5.0L upper/lower manifold, 24lb inj,80mm maf K&N Filtercharger & realtime tuned chiptorque module.
The bottom end was fully blueprinted & balanced, 4 bolt splayed caps & probe stud girdle, Scat crank nitrided & balanced,crower rods,probe racing pistons & childs&alberts rings & to top it off a high Energy 7.0L sump & billet underdrive crank pulley. The heads I chose Trickflow's Twisted wedge series stg3 ported/polished by hiflow induction techniques
The only downside............. In need of a stronger box/diff & thinking about a Tremec TKO & a 9inch when $$ alows lol
Ive had a fair few "SCARY" experiences since this had been done & believe me Im not as much a revhead as i once was...
Good contacts in Perth ... KEC in Morley ( well lets just say theyre ok) & Leon from A1 Performance in Myree <----- Hes tha man!!!

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 05:44   #10 (permalink)
GTHO4

What's the deal with Leon and the 500kw Falcon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech