Windsor 351 Conrod Bearings - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2004, 05:07   #1 (permalink)

confused Windsor 351 Conrod Bearings

I am in the process of rebuilding a 351W motor. The new big end bearing shells are identical in that neither of them have a bleed hole to allow oil through the squirt/spit hole built into the conrod. The question has been asked of the bearing supplier as to whether they made a mistake but apparently this is how replacement bearings are supplied.

My concern is that as the oil hole was put there in the first instance by ford there must have been a plan, eg to assist in lubricating the wrist pins or getting some oil up under the piston and onto the scrapers/cylinder walls.

As the new pistons have no oil holes in them for the wrist pins either I am concerned that this combination of no wrist pin oil holes and no 'spit hole' throwing oil out could result in oil starvation to some pretty critical and hot areas.

Any suggestions before I potentially damage these big end bearings by drilling the oil hole in them?
BAXR_TRIVHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2004, 05:43   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Windsor 351 Conrod Bearings

What brand are the bearings??
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 19:07   #3 (permalink)

What brand are the conrods?
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 05:42   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer
What brand are the conrods?

Stock as a rock factory ford.

I checked out some original 289 rods, they don't have the hole cast into them so it seems logical that the hole was a later 'improvement'. However that idea falls flat on its butt because some 'later' Cleveland rods I came across also don't have an oil hole cast into them.

I have some early conrod bearings which are factory ford, they DO have the oil hole in them.

I contacted Repco who assure me that ACL brand 351W conrod bearings DO NOT have an oil hole built into them, so that leaves me wondering whether some years ago Ford decided the oil spit hole was a bad idea for whatever reason, (loss of oil pressure, too much oil spraying on the cylinders causing premature oil usage, don't know), and the idea was abandoned by using solid conrod bearings.

Thanks anyway, just thought there might be a Windsor person from way back who could pin an answer on this problem.

Bugger it, I think I'll tip towards getting the bearings drilled to match the conrod, I'd rather have oil spraying around inside the crankcase than dry bores and gudgeon pins.

Cheers.
BAXR_TRIVHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech