windsor cam regrind - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2004, 19:57   #1 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

windsor cam regrind

Hi again Windsor boyz.
Sorry if this has been at least partially covered before. A search didnít turn up much. I was keen on some cam work. Iíve seen a few I6 people cheaply regrind their cams and easily (compared to the V8 anyway) install them. I know that some of you will say that heads and manifold are the things to do before a cam but I was hoping that this would be a lower cost mod at this point in time and being that both idle note and low RPM power increases are arguably best achieved with a cam I thought Iíd look into that now. I donít plan on any head work yet and my primary desired outcomes and requirements are

1. A beefier sounding idle and generally a better note through the rev range
2. Some torque and power increases in the low to mid range. (currently sheís a bit sluggish down low)
3. I want to use my standard valve springs (if at all possible).
4. Minimal cost

I emailed surecam here in Brisbane as I live close to them and I essentially itemised the above requirements. Iíve attached their reply here.

Quote:
Thanks for your enquiry re: Ford EL V8. We would recomend using our HRZ76 profile to provide a good increase in mid range torque with sharper throttle response and a lopey idle. Cam Specs are Duration @ .050 camlift 212 degress, Valve lift with 1.7 rockers .486" Lobe Seperation 112 degrees.
If your roller rockers are adjustable there would be no problem to regrind your standard cam, if they are the non adjustable type longer pushrods could be used to compensate for the reduced base circle of the cam or a new Billet Camshaft could be used. It would also be adviseable to fit an adjustable timing set to ensure thst you can install the cam in the correct position.
To regrind your cam would be $330.00, New Billet cam $825.00, Pushrod Set if required $186.00, Multi Keyway adjustable timing set $99.00

The reason for this thread is to ask five questions:

1. Will I be safe with the 0.486Ē lift that surecam specify whilst using my standard valve springs. This figure accommodates my 1.7:1 rockers.
2. Iím only interested in the regrind option due to money. Hopefully a regrind and the extra bits it may require (eg longer pushrods) still works out cheaper than the billet. Does the price sound a little high? It only costs $150ish to regrind an I6 cam, is the V8 that much more work? I guess youíre paying for design time too but a few mates said they wouldnít expect more than $200!
3. I have the FMS M 6564 A50 1.7:1 roller rockers and AFAIK they arenít adjustable. Is this the case? The rockers arenít shimmed so thereís no margin to accommodate smaller cam lobes. Can the valve train be shimmed somehow in the 302 EFI and would this be cheaper than the pushrod option?
4. The adjustable timing set is just a vernier cam gear is it not? I guess this is an advisable purchase, correct? Thoughts?
5. Has anyone had experience with the HRZ76 profile? Comments? How do the surecam specs ďsoundĒ 212 deg 50thou duration seems quite reasonable doesnít it? I donít have the stock cam specs so I canít really comment myself.

Just to clarify thingsÖ. I havenít decided on cam work yet, this is just research to determine whether or not Iíd be happy going ahead with such a mod.

Thanks as always for your input.

Last edited by !Gn|T|0n; 02-23-2004 at 20:00.
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2004, 20:05   #2 (permalink)

Re: windsor cam regrind

mmmm Interesting dude, but I reckon you need to check to make sure the valve springs are up to the task.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 20:07   #3 (permalink)
known as tibbo

I always thought you flowed the heads first and got the cam to match,, not the other way round.. Be nterested to see the replies though
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 20:10   #4 (permalink)

well look at me lol still waiting for the heads....
Proud TQE Operator
Old 02-23-2004, 20:13   #5 (permalink)
known as tibbo

WHERE THE F*CK ARE THE PICTURES OF YOUR NEW WHEELS KEATS....

sorry for the hijack Paul but i thought a PM to 6pac would blow his 33 kps off the scale
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 20:17   #6 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Ignition the stock cam really isn't that bad, especially with 1.7 rockers. It's your heads and intake manifold that are the major restrictions and changing the valve timing really won't get around that.
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 20:18   #7 (permalink)

hahahahahahahahaha going to take some RIGHT NOW...... Also could you order me like 2 or 3 lifters and the BA 6 cyl Intake pipe set. Be right back..

6pAc
Proud TQE Operator
Old 02-23-2004, 20:18   #8 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigDog
Ignition the stock cam really isn't that bad, especially with 1.7 rockers. It's your heads and intake manifold that are the major restrictions and changing the valve timing really won't get around that.
What... even at low RPM?
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 20:20   #9 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Fixing up the actual bottlenecks will increase torque and power at all RPM's. Unless you want to put a tow cam in it
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 20:30   #10 (permalink)

OK sorry for the hijack paul, and sorry bout the bad quality, pic was taken by a logitech 400 doller web cam (not mine).

Proud TQE Operator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech