Windsor Modification Advice: - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2005, 18:54   #1 (permalink)
'XR Machine'

Windsor Modification Advice:

Hello All,
I am new to fordforums and just recently purchased a XR8. Series 2 (200kw) sedan. The car was purchased stock about a month ago.
Modifications to date are:
* Herrod Extractors
* 2 1/2 inch mandel bent exhausts with high-flow cat and resinator.
* K & N Air Filter
* SS Inductions Cold Air Intake
And i believe thats it at the moment.

I have been looking into other mods for the beast and i am impressed with some of the figures floating around. Was wondering if i could have some honest suggestions for other mods for my XR8 that can be done by a trusted company in melbourne. I am looking at maybe Crane Cam '2030' and perhaps a 70 mm AU3 Throttle Body? Uni-chip somewhere along the line!
Any suggestions or experience would be greattly appreciated, as i am sick of loosing to those LS1 commodores.
Also, does anyone know what my Windsor runs quarter mile stock out of the factory, i belive the AU Series3 (220) runs 14.8 quarter... what does that mean mine would do??
Cheers and awaiting your help.
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005, 19:10   #2 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

Re: Windsor Modification Advice:

Go and see Chris at Blue Power Racing... you'll never look back.
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 21:08   #3 (permalink)

Low 15's stock or possible 14 second dip with your setup would be my guess mate.

2030 is a nice start and you'll prolly want to chip it to get the most out of the change. The 70mm t/b has been touched on several times before do a search and you'll find that most feel it's not required for a mild 5.0.
I would reccomend chiptorque over unichip myself due to the added features in the chip ie. gear shift alterations for auto, rev limit increase, idle control and a few other things.
Tidy up the lower inlet or buy after market intake and possibly look at heads (port or alloys).
I have much of the above and with good leads and plugs added to my list i'm confident i'm in the 180rwkw range. (175.5rwkw pre leads and irridium plugs, felt stronger after).
With alloys and intake i'd expect 200-210rwkw. Blue power racing as Marcus suggests is a good outfit to use.
TKTDSGM Member
AU2XLSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 21:50   #4 (permalink)

5ltrs are just not enough to tackle the ls1's...
Build a stroker for it, you will never look back, or for the same amount of $$$, supercharge it.
Chips will only just give you a little boost, with your mods and a chip driven well youd be lucky to get a mid 14.
www.dpcperformance.com.au
speak to damien, he can help you with a stroker motor or any supercharging questions, also you can see his work in the new performance ford magazine
Old 04-30-2005, 04:50   #5 (permalink)

Philstoj does have a point when it comes to ls1's. I ran my 14.4 on a humid warm night where many were complaining of slow times. I know theres more there esp since i got the leads and plugs. That said i can see a 14.1 or even a 14 flat. with my setup. Add heads and intake and a mid to high 13 for sure, but an ls1 with very minor mods will throw a 13.5.
Stroking is a great option and boost is great. I had a Vortec on board and killed a few ls1's but found the lack of mid range power frustrating.
If the wallet allows around $10G supercharge or stroke it. If it don't go heads, inlet and cam with chip ($4-5G) and you'll run ahead of many stock ls1 and bosses. You'll also have created an excellant base for the furure (if chosen carefully).

Oh and compared to your current setup it will be SWEET!

Did i mention i'm going Turbo. I should (hope and pray) have it all on and running for around $7-7500. Lot of research and work for an AU Windsor though. Spose i could get a second set of manifolds made. If anyone is interested i can ask.
TKTDSGM Member
Old 04-30-2005, 05:12   #6 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

LS1's... we're comparing 5.7L to 5.0L here too remember guys - if you get close to an LS1 with a 5.0 then you're well ahead in my books. Get improved heads and stroke it and whala...!
Old 04-30-2005, 05:46   #7 (permalink)

And we all like to be in Marcus's good books!!!!
There is some pride to be had in beating an ls1 with 5 liters of cast iron Ford machinery.
TKTDSGM Member
Old 04-30-2005, 06:03   #8 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

Good books?
Old 04-30-2005, 16:22   #9 (permalink)
'XR Machine'

Yer i dont think i have the cash flow at this point in time to be able to stroke the old girl... or even supercharge/turbo it! I wanted to just play around with the other mods at first and see what kinda gains i am looking at making.
Where do you guys recommend i get a cam from? And installation..
As i wouldn't try and get it hookd up myself, i had enuff trouble with the CAI, lol and we all know how easy that can be.
Car mechanics like that aren't my forte'...
AU2XLSV8: hows your set up running? And how much would i be looking at for a similar cam to yours & all the necassary gadgets and parts?? Or even the 2030 Crane Cam???
Installed sumwhere in melbourne?
I know a couple of car joints.. but just dont know how reasonable they are as not sure what they have workd on in the past! ANy advice or hook ups wuld be greattly apprecaited where possible...
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 18:34   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Fit set of Pacemaker extractors or similar brand and nice exhaust, as the heads are alittle restrictive on the exhaust side....Ohh oh do a search on exhaust..There's heaps on them.....
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech