Windsor: where's the temp sender? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2002, 02:32   #1 (permalink)
Stand clear: 5.0 in use!

Windsor: where's the temp sender?

I've been having idle control problems, particularly on cold starts. I have cleaned out the idle control valve with no luck so thought I would check the temp sensor connection on the block. A dirty sender or connection could be affecting the mixture on a cold start?

But where is it? I've even gone as far as checking the wiring diagrams to help fin the correct wires but to no avail. Is the sensor hidden behind the block or radiator perhaps?

Thanks, Mike

EF Fairmont Ghia, Bordeaux Purple, 5.0 Windsor, Crane cam, ChipTorque modded ECU, full XR bodykit, 16 inch XR8 alloys, 2.5 inch dropped Tickford suspension, full grey leather trim with chrome, woodgrain and lots of lights, climate control, ABS, Premium sound, trip computer, power everything

I can't get enough of this!
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2002, 02:49   #2 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Coolant sensor is on the black water pipe on top of the lower intake isn't it???
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 03:18   #3 (permalink)

Front or rear of motor?

I can't see any wires anywhere that lead to the sender!

Don't be shy, more suggestions please! :D

EF Fairmont Ghia, Bordeaux Purple, 5.0 Windsor, Crane cam, ChipTorque modded ECU, full XR bodykit, 16 inch XR8 alloys, 2.5 inch dropped Tickford suspension, full grey leather trim with chrome, woodgrain and lots of lights, climate control, ABS, Premium sound, trip computer, power everything

Old 08-21-2002, 05:23   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Just behind the thermostat housing, there are two black metal pipes that come from the lower intake mainfold and run under the upper intake manifold to the back of the engine. About an inch or two down the black pipes, probably just under the upper intake manifold, there is the sensor. If you still cannot find it, I will email you a pic showing its location. Just let me know grantjas@bigpond.com
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 07:53   #5 (permalink)

Thanks mate! I'll have a peek tomorrow. It sure is well hidden! I did look under there but all the wiring from the injectors was probably confusing the issue.

When all is said and done, I will probably have to replace the damn idle controller anyway ($200+), but am just weeding out all possibilites!

Appreciate the help guys.

Mike

Old 08-21-2002, 18:11   #6 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

If it turns out that it is the idle controller, email me. I had to replace mine about 6 months ago, and now I am upgrading my throttle body, which comes with one as well, so I have one spare that I will let go cheap.

Seeing you are in adelaide, if you want to borrow it to see if thats your problem, let me know. I work in the city, so you can pick it up any day.

grantjas@bigpond.com
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:26   #7 (permalink)

You are a lifesaver!

I was only complaining today to a workmate that I was going to have to fork out mega$$$ for a new one! Thank God for FF!

I took out the temp sender and cleaned it and the connectors. I will try a cold start in the morning and see how it goes.

Email sent!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech