windsors on straight gas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2003, 02:46   #1 (permalink)

windsors on straight gas

hey,

just started researching doing up and EF or EL wagon and i was lookin into getting a windsor rebuilt for straight gas,

just wondering if that was a worthwhile prospect?

thanks
eleven38am is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2003, 11:56   #2 (permalink)

Re: windsors on straight gas

Yes, gas is good. Less engine deposits, timing can be set for straight gas rather than duel fuel, which is a bit of a compromise. Your hego sensors will last longer, EGR system will remain cleaner, cats last longer, and it is more environmentally friendly.

The late model windsors have induction hardened exhaust valve seats, so no problem there. Perfect. :s6:

Last edited by TopGhia; 09-09-2003 at 12:06.
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 20:01   #3 (permalink)
F*#K the government

Top idea, I am going to be doing a 351W twin turbo running on straight gas into an e series wagon myself.
I advantages of using a wagon is the fact you can use twin standard LPG tanks or? Maybe twin manifold LPG tanks without taking much room up inside the cargo area, unlike sedans where you loose a lot of space.

I used to own a straight gas XF Ghia wagon fitted with a healthy 351C and I would recommend fitting twin tanks because of limited range you may get out of running one, I ran out of gas once 40kms south of Rockhampton at 4am in the morning. (A lot of LPG servos are not 24hr). And Rocky was where I was heading.

There are plenty of choices in gas system you can use, GRA (Gas Research Australia) is one of the better known performance systems and there are plenty of others.

Another choice in the future is using gas vapour injection from ©Gas Injection Technologies Pty Ltd and you could use factory injection harness and ecu.
What will be supplied is special designed gas vapour injectors that replace the petrol injectors; it will use a special fuel rail and regulator.
The rest of the gas system will be as per any other gas system, the idea mainly of the system is reduced labour costs eg tunning, better performance and none of the over faults with using a dual fuel system.

This system when released probably could be tuned for even better performance with a "Tweecer" etc as the ecu settings are for petrol and basically it will only be self tunning for emissions etc not best timing etc to suit LPG.
Best of all it will run like any other EFI car except it will be using LPG.

I have been communicating with Bill Campbell from http://www.gas-injection.com/index.htm and he first replied with this email.
Quote:
Dear Jason,

I will apologise for not answering but as we are in research there are times where the research takes priority. I am pushing as hard as I can to have some systems ready at the end of the year. It will fit a wide variety of vehicles and for performance oriented people like yourself we will be supplying basic components to your licensed gas installer and you can organise to make the adaptors etc to suit the engine. An example is we converted a Toyota 4AG engine with separate throttle bodies (see attached photos). The only problem is we are restricted in the flow rate at the moment so any wild turbo or supercharging will not be able to supply enough gas.

Best regards

Bill Campbell

Managing Director

Gas Injection Technologies Pty Ltd.

Ph: 02 9632 4444

Fx: 02 9721 2201
As I want to use a twin turbo setup it looks like I may have a few problems with gas supply, but I am willing to give it a go and see if I can find another way around it, even if I have to use extra boost enrichment injectors and an extra regulator.

Last edited by damage181; 09-09-2003 at 20:06.
damage181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 01:28   #4 (permalink)

I was thinking you could do away with the cats if it's not illegal, not sure on that though.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:35   #5 (permalink)
F*#K the government

Re: Re: windsors on straight gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGhia
I was thinking you could do away with the cats if it's not illegal, not sure on that though.

Nope, still have to run the cats, EPA will not allow removal of cats no matter what fuel is used.
Old 09-19-2003, 00:59   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

I was looking into running a turbo 351 in my ef on straight gas, and as damage said, you can't take off the cats. I'm now running with my 302, as I pulled it down on the weekend, and found that I got ripped on the rebuild. Will be running twin gas research throttle bodies.
AndrewsXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech